Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 0 v 1 Cowdenbeath

Match Type: Scottish League One
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 7th November 2009
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 691
Referee: A Muir


Clyde   Cowdenbeath
  McBride (89) pen.

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Cowdenbeath
Reidford Hay
Park Armstrong Yellow Card
Yellow Card Halliday Linton
Casey Winter (74)
Yellow Card Lithgow Droudge
Graham Mbu
P Stewart Fairbairn
McLachlan McQuade
(51) Sawyers Wardlaw (90)
McLeod Robertson
(68) Howarth Ramsay
(68) Stevenson McBride (74)
Allan McKay
McFadden Adamson
(81) Muir Ferguson
(81) (51) Odunewu Baxter (90)

Hide Match Report

by David Worton

Clyde slipped back to the foot of the table a they threw away a point against Cowdenbeath.

The home side introduced new loan signing Lee Graham as part of a back three, with Robert Halliday, Paul McLeod and Steven Howarth all coming into an attacking line-up. There was no sign of trialist Bob Davidson or Connor Cassidy, whilst Connor Stevenson dropped to the bench.

A good run of form has seen Cowdenbeath climb the table but there was little sign of this improved level of performance in a dreadful opening half for both sides. The energy of Willie McLachlan and Paul Stewart in midfield saw Clyde win a lot of possession and the former had several long distance strikes that didn’t trouble goalkeeper David Hay. A goalmouth scramble following a long throw by McLachlan produced the nerviest moment for the Blue Brazil’s defence but Alan Lithgow chose to pass rather than shoot and the chance was lost.

The best chance of the opening period fell to the away side as Mark Casey was robbed of the ball leading to Gareth Wardlaw having a clear chance inside the penalty area. Fortunately for the Bully Wee, his effort was blocked by a combination of goalkeeper and defender and the rebound was put past the post by the same player.

Within six minutes of the second half Clyde had made a change, with Steven Odenewu replacing the injured Willie Sawyers. Cowdenbeath had definitely received some words of encouragement from their manager though and had by far the greater amount of possession. Paul McQuade had their first effort with a turn and shot that rattled against the crossbar.

Clyde failed to create much throughout the game but from their solitary chance should have opened the scoring. Good work by Halliday down the left saw him dribble past Dene Droudge and his cross to the far post found the unmarked Ally Park, only for Hay to superbly tip his header over the bar.

Howarth was then replaced by Stevenson with McLeod moving up front and this removed all attacking threat from the midfield. Inexplicably, it appeared that Clyde were attempting to hold onto a draw and they almost paid when McQuade headed just past the post from Linton’s cross. The mood of the home fans failed to improve when second half sub Odenewu was substituted himself  for Gary Muir.

Despite looking comfortably set for a point, the defensive nature of the performance in the last ten minutes was always asking for trouble and Graham was lucky to survive a blatant penalty appeal when he handled a header that looked to be on target. The away side will feel that justice was done minutes later when Joe Mbu’s shot struck another Clyde hand and this time the referee awarded a spot-kick. Scott McBride made no mistake with the penalty and with only a couple of minutes left, Clyde struggled to even muster another attempt on goal.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips

Video Highlights

Video Highlights