Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Stirling Albion 1 v 1 Clyde

Match Type: Scottish League One
Venue: Forthbank Stadium
Date: Saturday, 24th October 2009
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 764
Referee: C Murray
Stirling Albion


Stirling Albion   Clyde
(88) Corr Sawyers (57)

Hide Line-ups

Stirling Albion   Clyde
Hogarth Reidford
Graham Park Yellow Card
Forsyth Cassidy
Feaks Casey
Murphy Lithgow
(67) Robertson McLachlan
Gibson P Stewart
(58) McCord Stevenson
Grehan Sawyers Yellow Card
McKenna Davidson (Trialist) (69)
(67) O'Brien Muir
(58) Devine McLeod
Christie Allan
(67) O'Neil Odunewu (69)
(67) Corr Irvine
Murphy Lang

Hide Match Report

by David Worton

Clyde bounced back after the disappointing defeat against Peterhead with a creditable draw against league leaders Stirling Albion, but the late goal that earned the Binos a point meant that the Bully Wee were probably the unhappier side.

Marvyn Wilson’s suspension meant a recall to the starting line-up for Connor Stevenson and Connor Cassidy also replaced Robert Halliday. Steven Howarth’s calf injury kept him out of the squad and he was replaced by trialist Bob Davidson, the ex-Dundee striker. Stirling Albion’s one change was to bring on-loan Dundee United player, Ross McCord, into their team in place of Devine.

Given their lofty position in the division it was understandable that Albion started confidently with the extra man in their five man midfield always available to take possession. Their first effort on goal was a weak free-kick by McCord that didn’t trouble Callum Reidford. Reidford then comfortably kept out Martin Grehan’s shot before Clyde started to work their way into the game and Davidson did well to turn away from Ross Forsyth but his shot went well over the crossbar. Stevenson then had the first of two chances that he would miss, slicing a shot past the post.

Stirling continued to enjoy the better of possession but failed to carve out many chances in the middle chunk of the first half, with David McKenna’s shot across the face of goal their one effort. Clyde were hitting their hosts on the break and almost took the lead when Myles Hogarth fumbled Willie McLachlan’s volley only for the woodwork to spare his blushes. Davidson then saw a shot deflected into Hogarth’s grasp.

As play moved towards half-time, things opened out and both teams started to threaten the opening goal with a bit more attacking intent. Only a terrific block by Mark Casey kept out Grehan’s shot and McKenna saw a chip deflected over for a corner. At the other end, Andy Graham’s header almost went past his own ‘keeper, whilst a good passing move saw Paul Stewart pull the ball back to Stevenson but the youngster sliced his effort horribly from the edge of the box.

The second half began with Stirling Albion looking the more threatening side and Alan Lithgow did superbly to clear Paul Murphy’s shot off of the line with Reidford beaten. Murphy then headed past from a good position. McKenna then sprinted through Clyde’s defence only to be denied by Reidford and from the rebound, Grehan’s shot struck his strike partner and spun past the post.

Despite the pressure, Clyde still looked threatening on the break and managed to take the lead with a good goal. A good switch of play by Gary Muir found Stewart and from his through ball, Willie Sawyers slid a good shot past Hogarth and into the net, via the post.

This led to a period of consistent domination from the home team as Clyde tried to hold onto their lead. Murphy, who played well throughout, spurned probably his best chance with a weak effort from 8 yards. Sawyers then went into the book for a silly tackle on Hogarth, before the tired Davidson left the field to be replaced by Steven Odenewu. The Bully Wee’s luck looked to be holding out as Grehan side-footed home Ross Forsyth’s cross only to be denied by the offside flag but things were perhaps evened up as referee Calum Murray missed Kenny Feaks’ handball inside the penalty area.

Clyde’s recent wins have featured extensive goalmouth scrambles but those failed into comparison with the onslaught they suffered after 83 minutes. Grehan, John O’Neill and Devine all fired in efforts that were blocked by diving defenders or Reidford and somehow the goalkeeper ended up plunging on the loose ball. Sadly this didn’t prove to be decisive, as five minutes later substitute Liam Corr cut inside and curled an effort over Reidford and into the top corner. He may have meant it as a cross but there’s little doubt that Stirling deserved their leveller.

The final chance of the game fell to Stewart but he couldn’t stretch enough to prod Odenewu’s cross goalwards. Overall though, it was a good point against a team that remain five points clear at the top. The result also moves Clyde out of the bottom two on goal difference. Throughout the match, the Bully Wee passed the ball reasonably well and defended superbly; sadly just failing to hold out for the full 90 minutes.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips