Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 1 v 0 Brechin City

Match Type: Scottish League One
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 19th September 2009
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 722
Referee: I Brines
Brechin City


Clyde   Brechin City
(15) McLeod  

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Brechin City
Reidford Nelson
Park Walker
Yellow Card Halliday Dyer
Casey McLean
Lithgow Smith
P Stewart Janczyk Yellow Card
Lang Byers (64)
Wilson (Trialist) Fusco Yellow Card
(75) Sawyers McAllister
(90) McLeod King
McLachlan Docherty (78)
Doyle Renton (64)
Allan Scott
(90) Odunewu Nimmo (78)
(75) Coakley McGroarty
C Boyle Cowan

Hide Match Report

by David Worton

A battling performance and improved amount of luck were the main reasons behind a crucial first victory of the season for Clyde that saw them keep in touch with the rest of the division.

Brechin were without ex-Clyde strikers Ian Harty and Sean McKenna, whilst another two former Bully Wee men, David Scott and Chris McGroarty, sat on the substitute’s bench. Clyde changed back to a 4-4-2, with Willie McLachlan at left back. This saw Robert Halliday move into midfield, with Jay Lang and Willie Sawyers also coming into the team after impressive performances against Rutherglen Glencairn.

Perhaps it was down to the introduction of John McCormack but the Bully Wee started with plenty of determination and should have been ahead within five minutes. Halliday’s ball over the top found Sawyers bearing down on goal and after the hit-man rounded ‘keeper Craig Nelson, he appeared to be bundled to the ground by defender Paul McLean. Remarkably, referee Iain Brines awarded a corner kick rather than a penalty and probable red card.

Brechin then had their own shout for a spot-kick turned down when Lithgow appeared to trip Neil Janczyk in the box but Mr Brines chose to give the midfielder a yellow card for simulation. In fairness, Jancyzk didn’t argue with the decision.

Despite perhaps feeling that luck was not on their side given the earlier penalty decision, Clyde fought their way into the lead with a goal that definitely had a fortuitous side. Ally Park’s throw-in found Sawyers who lost out in a challenge with Willie Dyer. However, the left back’s clearance was charged down by Sawyers and spun perfectly into the path of Paul McLeod who finished easily from 6 yards out.

The Glebe Park side have the division’s leading marksman in Rory McAllister and the ex-Inverness player almost scored his 8th goal in 9 games soon after the opener. A cross from the left wing by Docherty found McAllister 8 yards out but his header fizzed wide of the post. Another good run down the wing by Dyer saw his pullback missed by McLachlan but Kevin Byers could only stab the cross well wide with his right foot.

The next opportunity fell to the Bully Wee as Halliday’s cross fell to Sawyers at the back post but his snapshot was kept out by the legs of Nelson. Lithgow fired a powerful header from Lang’s cross straight at Nelson as Clyde threatened a second goal. Gary Fusco and Halliday then joined Jancyzk in the book for wild tackles.

Clyde had been the more threatening team throughout the half and that continued at the start of the second as on three occasions, Lang passed up good chances to score. The first, after a neat passing move, saw him curl a left-foot shot wide of the post. The second saw him try to chip Nelson only for the ball to swing over the bar. His third effort, a burst into the box from a pass by McLeod saw his strike on goal blocked by McLean for a corner.

The turning point in the match came when Brechin introduced Kris Renton for Byers and the big striker combined with McAllister to offer a physical threat up front. McAllister had their next chance but fired into the side netting, an action that was repeated minutes later by Fusco. McLeod was next to have a chance as a free kick into the box was dropped by Nelson, under pressure from Alan Lithgow but the ex-Hamilton player fired the chance over the bar from 7 yards with only a couple of defenders on the line.

However, as Clyde started to tire City started to pass up even more attractive chances. Perhaps the best fell to Docherty but somehow he managed to head Richard Walker’s cross past the post from just 6 yards out. Callum Reidford also had to look lively to block Jancyzk’s long range shot.

Renton then charged down a clearance from Reidford but was penalised for handball. Astonishingly, as play ticked in stoppage time the biggest chance was yet to come. A couple of deflections saw the ball arrive at McAllister in the box but his flick came off the post. Paul Stewart reacted brilliantly to clear ahead of McLean on the goal-line but the ball quickly spun back to Charlie King at the back post, only for his volley to be blocked by Reidford. Fortunately, Lang reacted to that loose ball to thump clear and the game was over within a minute.

Luck was definitely on the Bully Wee’s side on Saturday but for an hour they were the better team and probably just edged it. The change to a back four worked wonders again and for perhaps the first time this season, post-match arguments were about which of Reidford, Park, Lithgow, Wilson or Sawyers was man of the match.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Video Highlights

Video Highlights