Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 1 v 1 Falkirk

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 3rd November 2001
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 2,017
Referee: C Hardie


Clyde   Falkirk
pen. (42) Keogh Morris (65)

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Falkirk
Halliwell Hogarth
Mensing Oponga
Hagen Mair Yellow Card
Kernaghan Lawrie
Yellow Card Cranmer McQuilken (77)
Bingham Kerr
Mitchell Rennie
Yellow Card Dunn Waddell
Keogh Morris
(69) Hinds McAllister (58)
(74) Convery Miller
(74) Crawford McStay (77)
Budinauckas Hill
(69) A Kane Deuchar
Millen Wright (58)
McCusker Craig

Hide Match Report

by Alan Henderson

Clyde ground out another point in a disappointing game that failed to ignite. Given the current circumstances it really isn't good enough. Andy Millen was dropped to the bench following injury last week and Simon Mensing made his home debut.

As usual Clyde began quite brightly but failed to find the net. After 5 minutes Keogh missed a simple chance. A break and cross by Convery left Keogh on the 6 yard line with the goal gaping. Any kind of header would probably have scored, but Pat got right over the ball and powered the header into the turf and over the bar. In the current plight Clyde can't afford to miss opportunities like these. Falkirk were looking slick on the break but didn't carry much goal threat. In fact their best chance came via Simon Mensing. In trying to clear an awkward ball across the face of the goal, Mensing crashed the ball off his own crossbar. Luckily for him the ball fell safely and was cleared. Clyde's only other attempt of note was a tame shot from Hinds that was easily covered. Then as the game headed towards the break Keogh won a penalty. He burst through into the edge of the box and was shoved for a needless penalty. He got up and stuck the kick away himself. Had Clyde's luck turned?

In a similar manner to the last home fixture against St Mirrren, Clyde either couldn't or wouldn't put pressure on the opposition for the safety of another goal. No matter how poor the opponents look in front of goal, if you give them enough of the play then they will eventually score. Clyde hardly mounted an attack in the second half and Falkirk eventually stole in to snatch an equaliser. An awkward passback to Halliwell was poorly cleared into touch by the keeper. A quick throw in and cross left Clyde's markers nowhere and Morris headed into the net. This left Clyde facing a tense closing 20 minutes as Falkirk fancied their chances. Fortunately Falkirk were just as inept in the closing stages as both teams had been earlier in the game. Kane and Crawford appeared but hardly saw the ball. Halliwell pulled off a great reflex save towards the end as Clyde clung on for a point.

Clyde's inability to capitalise on an opening goal is worrying. The midfield simply can't win and retain the ball to mount pressure on other teams. At least the defence looked reasonably sound and Mensing looked fine in Murray's old position on the right. With his shaven head he even looks like him too. Hinds looks lost playing behind Convery and Keogh and simply hasn't the engine or attitude to go chasing the ball. It's also abundantly clear that Kernaghan and Keogh struggle to finish 90 minutes. Hagen now looks settled on the left but we'd rather see him further up the park firing in shots and crosses. Clyde need players desperately as any more injuries will leave Clyde with serious problems. We'll see who this week brings.