Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Alloa Athletic 0 v 2 Clyde

Match Type: Challenge Cup
Venue: Recreation Park
Date: Tuesday, 12th August 2008
Kick Off: 7:45pm
Attendance: 414
Referee: I Brines
Alloa Athletic


Alloa Athletic   Clyde
  Clarke (58)
  Gibson (76)

Hide Line-ups

Alloa Athletic   Clyde
Jellema Cherrie
Yellow Card McKeown Gibson
Campbell Ohnesorge
Scullion Higgins
Townsley Brown
Yellow Card Hill Wilson
Stevenson Roddy MacLennan
Grant Ruari MacLennan (60) Yellow Card
(70) Brown Clarke (74) Yellow Card
(79) MacAulay McKay
(79) Kelly Waddell (46)
(70) Scott Kettlewell (60)
O'Boyle Hutton
M Ferguson Trouten (46)
(79) Hay Gemmill (74)
(79) Buist Stephen Connolly

Hide Match Report

by David Worton

Clyde eased into the quarter-final of the ALBA Challenge Cup last night following a comfortable win over Alloa, in a game that they dominated from start to finish.

Having seen three players suffer injuries against Dundee, John Brown was forced to once more rotate his squad with only one of that trio, Stuart Kettlewell, named in the 16. The team captain started on the bench along with three other starters at Dens Park; ex-Queen's Park team mate Alan Trouten, Scott Gemmill and David Hutton. Peter Cherrie was once more given a run out in goals, with Roddy MacLennan, Dave McKay and Marvyn Wilson also given starts. Finally, Ricky Waddell was given his first start after joining from Airdrie United.
In terms of possession, the opening half of the match was dominated by the Bully Wee, with Michael Ohnesorge and Waddell providing a good threat on the left hand side of the pitch. Unfortunately, a series of well directed crosses failed to test the home goalkeeper due to a lack of bodies in the penalty area. Indeed, the first opening of the match saw ex-Real Mallorca midfielder Jamie Stevenson run behind the Clyde defence, only to fire his effort across the goal and past the post. An incisive through ball by Dave McKay then released Pat Clarke but the striker saw the chance lost as McKeown tugged him back on the edge of the box; the defender rightly saw a yellow card. The resulting free-kick from Ohnesorge was blasted into the wall. McKay then saw a blasted effort deflected wide after neat work by Billy Gibson on the goal-line.
Ruari MacLennan spurned two good opportunities to shoot and chose to try and beat another opponent, only to see himself well tackled on both occasions before Ohnesorge then struck the post with a free-kick that started its life as a cross but in truth, a lack of real creativity and incisiveness was on display.
The second half saw Clyde continue to dominate possession. Waddell, who had produced a good display on his debut, departed at half-time to be replaced by Trouten. Ruari MacLennan then started to play a bigger part in the game and a thrusting run through midfield was halted by an uncompromising tackle by Dougie Hill that saw the Alloa defender booked. The resulting free-kick was blasted into the wall by Ohnesorge.
A goal looked like it was coming and another MacLennan run was to provide it. Neat play by Trouten saw him cut inside Iain Campbell before sliding a ball through for MacLennan. His shot was well blocked but Pat Clarke thumped home the loose ball for his first goal of the season. This saw Clyde lose their concentration and Alloa almost levelled immediately when Stevenson went through, only to slice horribly past the post. Chris Townsley then headed against the bar from a set piece and that effort seemed to wake Clyde up and they regained control of the game. Having been booked, both MacLennan and Clarke left the pitch to be replaced by Kettlewell and Gemmill. Clarke’s booking was his second of the competition and is likely to mean he’s suspended for the next round.
As play moved into the last fifteen minutes, Clyde killed the game with a quality goal. Trouten’s pacy free kick was met by Billy Gibson’s head and gave the full back his second goal of the season.
Following the goal the Bully Wee played out the remaining moments in a comfortable fashion. Clyde came close with another Ohnesorge free-kick that Ray Jellema tipped over the cross bar and Mark Brown volleyed over the bar from the resulting corner.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips