Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 1 v 3 St. Johnstone

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Tuesday, 10th March 2009
Kick Off: 7:45pm
Attendance: 1,093
Referee: I Brines
St. Johnstone


Clyde   St. Johnstone
(63) Lithgow Milne (38)
  Swankie (47)
  Milne (90)

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   St. Johnstone
Hutton Main
T Stevenson Irvine
Waddell Byrne
Higgins Moon Yellow Card
Gibson Rutkiewicz
Lithgow McCaffrey
(71) Kettlewell Swankie (80)
Ruari MacLennan Millar Yellow Card
(46) Gemmill Milne (90)
(46) Tade Barrett (75)
McLaren Sheerin
(71) Wilson Craig (80)
Cherrie McLean
Yellow Card (46) Trouten Gartland
(46) McKay MacDonald (90)
Brown Holmes (75)

Hide Match Report

by David Worton

Although a Clyde defeat is not uncommon, the results elsewhere in the division that saw wins for the previously struggling Livingston and Queen of the South mean that this defeat to league leaders St. Johnstone left the Bully Wee deep in relegation trouble.

The home side chose to recall Billy Gibson for Mark Brown but the starting eleven was otherwise unchanged from that which took on Partick Thistle. The Saintees chose to mix things up after yet another draw at the weekend.

Sadly, the first half was pretty much a non-event for Clyde supporters as their opponents took control of possession. The Bully Wee failed to show their normal energy in midfield and the opposition’s Paul Sheerin in particular dictated play. Despite a host of set pieces, the first real chance fell midway through the half to Steven Milne as Sheerin’s neat touch released him in the penalty area but his low shot was straight at David Hutton. However, with their first real incisive move, St. Johnstone took the lead, with Milne turning Higgins to convert Kevin Moon’s through ball. Once again, poor defending had cost Clyde but the away side deserved their lead.

Half-time saw Alan Trouten and Dave McKay replace Gregory Tade and Scott Gemmill and Trouten’s introduction was to at least provide some quality in midfield. However, any serious hopes of a Clyde comeback were dashed within two minutes of the restart as Gavin Swankie skipped past a weak challenge from Gibson before firing past Hutton. Yet more terrible defending but the ex-Dundee winger took his chance well. The Saintees almost increased their lead further in the 53rd minute as Kevin Rutkiewicz outjumped Gibson to power in a header that was blocked on the line by Ruari McLennan, before Hutton swooped on the loose ball.

With St. Johnstone keeping possession well the game looked like it was certain to finish comfortably as an away win but Clyde remarkably scored with their first real attack of the game. Willie McLaren did well to win a corner and from Tony Stevenson’s excellent delivery, Gibson knocked down for Alan Lithgow to stab home his first goal for Clyde.

This gave the Bully Wee a lift and Trouten’s excellent pass almost sent McKay through on goal, only for the winger to take a poor touch and allow Swankie to recover and clear. Then, Higgins had a great chance to level but he fired over the bar after McLaren and Stevenson’s well worked free-kick.

The away team were noticeably nervous but with Clyde throwing men forward in search of a winner, they managed to seal the three points with a couple of minute left. Substitute Marvyn Wilson tried to play his way out of trouble and when St. Johnstone regained possession, Liam Craig was found with time in the box. The midfielder scuffed his effort but Milne was on hand to poke home and complete a miserable evening for Clyde.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Video Highlights

Video Highlights