Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 1 v 1 Queen of the South

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 28th February 2009
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 1,142
Referee: C Murray
Queen of the South


Clyde   Queen of the South
pen. (9) Trouten Tosh (79)

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Queen of the South
Hutton Robinson
Brown McCann
Ruari MacLennan Harris
Higgins Scally (46)
Gibson Barr
Lithgow Lancaster
(84) Trouten Wilson (78)
Tade McFarlane
Yellow Card Gemmill O'Connor (32)
T Stevenson Dobbie
McLaren Burns Yellow Card
McSwegan Kean (32)
Cherrie Halliwell
O'Reilly Tosh (46)
(84) McKay McQuilken (78)
Roddy MacLennan Thomson

Hide Match Report

by Graham Murray

Clyde were looking to bounce back from the horror defeat against Airdrie, but would have to do so without some key players. Clarke of course was suspended, and Marvyn Wilson joined Kettlewell on the injured list, so the Clyde fans were wondering just how the midfield would look.

Gregory Tade returned from his suspension, and Tony Stevenson featured for only the second time since joining on loan in January. Finally, Scott Gemmill took Clarke’s place.

Despite Clyde looking promising in midfield, Queens threatened first when a corner found Barr, but his header was tipped onto the bar by Hutton and cleared to safety.

Clyde’s early promise paid off on 9 minutes. After some lovely football involving McLaren and MacLennan, Ruari played McLaren through and as the winger rounded Queens 'keeper Robinson, he was brought down. Penalty! Trouten dispatched his spot kick expertly, despite the Queens 'keeper guessing correctly.

Queens almost hit back straight away, but the normally deadly Dobbie fired over after being set up by O’Connor.

Clyde could - and should have - doubled their lead midway through the first half, when Tade burst into the box using pace and power. With Gemmill waiting for a tap-in, the Frenchman elected to try and square the ball with his favored right foot and proceeded to almost put the ball out for a throw-in, still perhaps showing some signs of rawness since his step up to full-time football.

30 minutes into the game Queens were forced to take off O’Connor with what looked like a bad injury after a collision with Mark Brown and Chris Higgins. Despite the unwarranted abuse from the traveling support, there was nothing other than a collision with Brown.

The first booking of the game would arrive shortly afterwards, and it came to Gemmill, who fouled Queens Lancaster. The reaction of the visiting defender was strange to say the least and possibly helped referee Murray with his harsh decision to book the Clyde forward.

MacLennan possibly should have done more when he had a clear shot at goal, but weakly side footed into Robinson’s hands. McFarlane for Queens put his laces through the ball, but his drive went just wide. Stevenson and Harris forced good saves from free kicks, and Clyde went in at half-time worthy of their lead.

The visitors brought on Tosh for the ineffectual Scally in a bid to try and get something from the game.

As is customary now, Clyde started to sit deeper, but in a strange way it possibly worked in their favour, with pacey counter attacks creating more chances than the visitors.

MacLennan volleyed just wide, and also dallied on the ball too much after he had beaten a couple of players en route to goal.

The pace of Gemmill and McLaren combined with the latter’s ability were stretching the visitor’s rearguard. But Clyde couldn’t find the killer second goal, you always felt was needed. The referee caused some controversy by not awarding Queens what looked like a penalty when Higgins felled McCann. In truth the referee didn’t award anything at first, but was assisted by the far stand linesman, who flagged for the infringement, signaling the foul occurred just outside the box.

Calum Murray finally booked Queens' Paul Burns for persistent fouling.

Having looked the likelier to score, Queens would equalize and in some style, with Tosh unleashing an unstoppable 30 yard drive, although the space afforded to him, considering how well he strikes a shot, must have angered John Brown.

Clyde tried not to settle for a point, and straight from kick-off McLaren released Trouten down the right wing. His cross was flicked on by Gemmill and McLaren sent his header from 6 yards out wide with the goal gaping.

In the final minutes, McLaren was brought down when through on goal from a wide position by Burns, yet the referee deemed the free kick would be sufficient punishment.

With moments remaining, Clyde had a gilt edged chance to seal the win, when McLaren sent Div McKay through clear on goal. But - as has been the case often this season - the striker trundled a weak shot goalwards and the chance and the three points were lost.

Having worried about personnel and formations prior to the match, it’s hard to think of a player who didn’t perform reasonably well, with the much maligned Brown in midfield putting in a terrific performance in particular. It was also pleasing to see Ruari show more of his skills; that has been too few and far between. Up front McLaren would probably admit he’s played better, but every chance created up front came from him and Gemmill worked his socks off.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Video Highlights

Video Highlights