Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 1 v 4 Dunfermline Athletic

Match Type: Challenge Cup
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Wednesday, 5th September 2007
Kick Off: 7:45pm
Attendance: 799
Referee: W Collum
Dunfermline Athletic


Clyde   Dunfermline Athletic
(46) Ruari MacLennan Burchill (26)
  Morrison (57)
  Burchill (74)
  Morrison (90)

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Dunfermline Athletic
Hutton Murdoch
N McGregor Woods Yellow Card
Higgins Wilson
Kirkup Simmons Yellow Card
(60) Smith Labonte
Masterton Glass
(79) Cardle Ryan
Ruari MacLennan Crawford
D McGowan Burchill
Yellow Card Imrie McManus
M McGowan Morrison
Wilson Harper
Cherrie Paterson
(60) McKenna Hamilton
(79) Bradley Young
Doherty McCulloch

Hide Match Report

by Graham Murray

Clyde crashed out of the Challenge Cup but not without contributing considerably to a highly entertaining game of football. The home team almost got off to a flyer, when Labonte's short pass back, forced Murdoch to clear at the feet of the onrushing Imrie after just 17 seconds.

Both teams were playing open attacking football, and Dunfermline would carve out the next chance of the game when Burchill's diving header from a McManus cross-whistled just wide and over.

Imrie should have put Clyde in the lead after 10 minutes, when a Higgins through ball evaded everyone, and Imrie was one on one with the Keeper, however the Clyde man shot straight at Murdoch, who forced the ball out for a corner. Murdoch again foiled Imrie two minutes later, but this time the Clyde man's effort was much better and forced a good stop from a wide angle.

Clyde were well on top and again were desperately unlucky not to open the scoring on 14 minutes. An Imrie corner was cleared only to Cardle whos mis-hit shot fell kindly 8 yards out to Higgins, but his effort was blocked on the line. Follow up shots by Masterton and Cardle again, were cleared to safety.

Amazingly a minute later and Clyde were inches away from a goal, as Cardle cut inside two to fire in a shot from 25 yards that bounced back off the post with Murdoch well beaten. On 24 minutes, Clyde were made to pay for their wastefulness in front of goal. Seconds after David McGowan had a very good chance to open the scoring, Dunfermline broke through Bobby Ryan, who released McManus wide on the right, who then looked up and picked out Burchill for an easy tap in. Clyde continued to be the better team, and Cardle had a shot that whistled just past.

Almost on the stroke of half time, Clyde had another gilt-edged chance wasted. A high ball was played in to the box after a corner was cleared, and Kirkup intelligently nodded into the path of McGregor 3 yards out with the goal gaping. McGregor appeared to get the ball under control well, but somehow failed to make contact with the ball, and another chance was lost.

The Clyde fans and players must have wondered if they would ever score, and their questions were answered just 40 seconds into the second half. Imrie's corner was again, only partially cleared to McGowan who laid the ball off to Masterton, who's powerful drive could only be parried out by Murdoch straight to MacLennan who side footed into the net.

Dunfermline did not take long to regain the lead, when Owen Morrison's tricky wing play saw him burst clear from MacLennan and McGowan, and his cross was deflected past Hutton by McGregor.

Then one of those "what happened next" moments occurred. After a high cross was poorly dealt with by Hutton, Imrie did well to rob the ball from Ryan. He then appeared to get the ball under control, look up for options then fire a shot towards his own goal! Hutton did well to save, only for the referee to award a free kick for a passback! The visitor's failed to capitalize on that moment of madness, but they wouldn't have to wait long.

With 17 minutes remaining Dunfermline killed the game, with the best move of the match. The impressive Ryan linked well with McManus and cut the ball back to Burchill, who from 18 yards cracked a shot high into the net to paint a slightly flattering picture on the scoreline.

With 5 minutes remaining, Clyde must have knew it was not going to be their night, when a Masterton corner was met in the box by McGregor, but his header came back of the inside of the post and safely into the arms of Murdoch.

With Clyde pushing up, they were left badly exposed at the back, and Owen Morrison rounded off the scoring right on full time, when he slotted home after an incisive breakaway.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Video Highlights

Video Highlights