Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Hamilton Academical 0 v 0 Clyde

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: New Douglas Park
Date: Wednesday, 26th December 2007
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 1,750
Referee: J Underhill
Hamilton Academical

Hide Line-ups

Hamilton Academical   Clyde
Halliwell Hutton
Yellow Card Mensing N McGregor
Easton Bestvina
McCarthy Higgins
Elebert McKeown
McLaughlin Smith
(71) Winters Bradley
Yellow Card McArthur Ruari MacLennan (90) Yellow Card
(59) Offiong Arbuckle
Neil Wilson Yellow Card
Graham M McGowan
Stevenson Cardle
Cerny Cherrie
(71) Gilhaney D McGowan (90)
(59) Wake Kirkup
Parratt Roddy MacLennan

Hide Match Report

by David Worton

A battling defensive display from Clyde saw the Bully Wee become only the second team to leave New Douglas Park with a draw this season.

Colin Hendry chose to bring Dusan Bestvina and Marvin Wilson back into the line-up, with David McGowan and Steven Masterton missing out. There was also a return to the bench for Joe Cardle. The home side included ex-Clyde players Bryn Halliwell, Mark McLaughlin and Simon Mensing.

A good start from Clyde saw them create the first chance of the game as a poor pass back by McLaughlin was intercepted by Christian Smith, who saw his shot blocked well by Bryn Halliwell. However, the highly rated midfield of the home side started to take charge of possession and good passing saw them take control of the game. James McCarthy twice spurned good opportunities from close range and David Elebert saw his header loop past the post with David Hutton struggling to get near to the ball.

At the other end, the Bully Wee also had chances on the break. A long ball caught in the swirling wind deceived the Accies defence and Gary Arbuckle poked past the post from the tough chance this presented. Then, Michael McGowan headed past the post from a superb Kevin Bradley cross, after the winger had neatly cut inside Mensing. In general though, Hamilton controlled the game and almost took the lead before the break when Richard Offiong beat three Clyde players in a lung bursting run from midfield, before hitting a weak shot straight at David Hutton.

The second half saw Hamilton take further control and Clyde rarely built up any periods of possession. Despite this, the home side failed to carve out many clear chances. Both Offiong and David Winters chose to try chipped efforts on goal when well placed only to see them both dip over the bar. Fortunately, the home side then withdrew the dangerous Offiong for the less mobile Brian Wake and another ex-Clyde player, Mark Gilhaney, also entered the pitch to try and break down Clyde's rearguard but it was another winger, David Graham, who nearly gave them a lead with a low shot that Hutton saved well.

After 30 minutes of almost unending domination from Hamilton, Clyde broke to the other end and almost took the lead. A corner from Smith was cleared to the edge of the box where it was met by a superb volley by Bradley, only for Halliwell to superbly tip it onto the crossbar.

Play predictably swung back to the other end and after the referee missed a clear shove on Neil McGregor, McCarthy broke into the box and flicked the ball over than onrushing defender. However, as he was about to fire home, McGregor slid in with a superb challenge to clear the ball and Clyde were able to survive again. The final chance of the game saw Alex Neil's curling free kick turned away by Hutton, although the ball was going wide in any case.

So, although the game didn't see Clyde dominate possession or create many chances, the determined defence deserved their point after restricting the home side to very few efforts on goal. Indeed, both of the best efforts came from Clyde players and with some added quality up front, a win may have been forthcoming.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips