Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 1 v 2 Partick Thistle

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 3rd November 2007
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 1,980
Referee: A Freeland
Partick Thistle


Clyde   Partick Thistle
pen. (88) Imrie Chaplain (51)
  Harkins (74)

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Partick Thistle
Hutton Hinchcliffe
Yellow Card N McGregor Robertson
Higgins Harkins
McKeown Archibald
(74) Wilson Twaddle
Masterton Cameron (88)
(64) D McGowan Storey
Ruari MacLennan Rowson
Cardle Chaplain Yellow Card
Imrie Buchanan (80)
(64) M McGowan Keegan (65)
Yellow Card (74) Smith Roberts (65)
Cherrie Tuffey
(64) Arbuckle Murray (80)
(64) Bradley McStay (88)
Bestvina McKinlay

Hide Match Report

by Graham Murray

Following Clyde's impressive display in Perth the previous week, it was no surprise that they retained the same starting 11 against old rivals Partick.

The game started at a decent pace, with Clyde retaining most of the possession, particularly well in the shape of Masterton and Wilson. They would carve out the first opportunity, but David McGowan will look back on his chance in 145 minutes and feel he really should have done better, from only 8 yards out as his shot went agonisingly past the post.

The other McGowan perhaps gave a taster of what was to follow on 26 minutes. He cut through Thistle's defence using superb skill to beat at least three players, but with players screaming for a square ball, he unbelievably elected to shoot with his left foot and screwed the ball wide of the near post.

Partick were starting to gain more possession of the ball, but mostly at the back, and generally kept away from the danger area by Clyde.

Masterton would again try his trademark long shot, but couldn't find the net. Gradually Thistle were getting better possession in the final third, but only had half hearted efforts from Storey and Rowson to show for the entire half.

As the half time whistle blew, Clyde would be hoping that the two glorious chances squandered by the McGowan's would not come back to haunt them. Unfortunately the answer was a resounding no, only 5 minutes into the half. A pretty dubious free kick was awarded to Thistle. Harkins floated a deep cross to the back post which saw Twaddle rise above the static Clyde defence and Scott Chaplain fired home from 7 yards with Thistle's first clear cut chance of the game.

Clyde tried to get back into things, but again the lack of clinicalness up front was evident when David McGowan's trundler beat the keeper but came back off the post. On 72 minutes, McGregor was penalized for a foul on Buchanan, which saw the Clyde player booked - but the eventual punishment would be far worse as Harkins drilled in the free kick from 25 yards to put Thistle two up.

By this time all Clyde subs were on and they were looking pretty sharp, although Smith can count himself unfortunate to be booked again for a strong, hard but definitely fair tackle.

A lifeline came with two minutes to go, when Dougie Imrie was fouled, and managed to get enough momentum to get inside the box for a pretty fortuitous penalty award. Imrie picked himself up and got his second goal in two games.

Just before the final whistle and again Imrie could have stolen a point, but his drive from 18 yards was well hit, but powered over the bar.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery