Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 1 v 0 St. Johnstone

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 25th August 2007
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 1,310
Referee: J McKendrick
St. Johnstone


Clyde   St. Johnstone
(70) Ruari MacLennan  

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   St. Johnstone
Hutton Main
N McGregor Irvine
Potter Stanic
Higgins McManus Yellow Card
(76) Smith Anderson Yellow Card
Masterton Sheerin
(81) D McGowan Weatherston (70)
Ruari MacLennan McInnes Yellow Card
(81) McKenna Stewart (78)
Imrie Daal (56)
M McGowan McCluskey
(76) Wilson Lawrie
Cherrie Cuthbert
(81) Bradley MacDonald (70)
(81) Arbuckle Moon (78)
Doherty Jackson (56)

Hide Match Report

by Graham Murray

Clyde opened their account for the season with a deserved victory over the promotion hopefuls from Perth. 3 changes were made from the Clyde team who were humbled by Thistle, with Bradley, Wilson and Arbuckle dropping to the bench to make way for MacLennan, McKenna and McGowan. Neil McGregor returned from suspension to replace Traub.

Clyde certainly started in determined fashion, and were awarded no fewer than 4 corners in the opening 2 minutes, two of which saw Masterton and Imrie almost score directly from either side. However the visitors were diligent to clear and broke up the park from a Clyde corner, and John Stewart narrowly missed out on finding Daal unmarked in the center to put Saints ahead.

Almost immediately Clyde hit back and the sharp McKenna, went inches wide after he capatilised on defensive hesitancy.

Daal then had a smart shot cleared by McGregor, and Sheerin failed to follow up with a goal. Chances were now more frequent for the visitor's and Hutton again had to look smart to turn away a Weatherston shot.

Clyde's effort was still being rewarded up the other end, but mainly through fruitless corners and free kicks, although Imrie's effort towards the end of the half was deflected just wide with Main beaten.

St Johnstone should have taken the lead on 40 minutes, but McLuskey could not make proper contact when sliding in, with the goal gaping, and the score remained level. Just before half time, MacLennan almost made the most of fine build up play involving Imrie and McKenna, but shot over from 18 yards. The home fans could certainly have felt content at least that the effort and desire so sadly lacking the week before was evident, and the game was clearly still there to be won.

The players clearly felt the same, and took the game to St Johnstone, almost from the re-start of the second half. Although chances were not in abundance, possession was, and as the game wore on, it was apparent who wanted to win the game more. Clyde were hassling their opponents at every given opportunity and the work-rate was superb. This would finally be rewarded in the 70th minute, when Clyde took the lead.

Young David McGowan, turned his marker well, before feeding MaClennan in the box. The 18 year old appeared to turn into trouble, but managed to get his shot away that went through Main's legs and nestle in the back of the net.

Surprisingly Saint's response was very lacklustre, and Clyde managed to see out the remaining 20 minutes with relative ease.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Video Highlights

Video Highlights