Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Partick Thistle 4 v 0 Clyde

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Firhill Stadium
Date: Saturday, 18th August 2007
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 3,175
Referee: C Allan
Partick Thistle


Partick Thistle   Clyde
(18) Chaplain  
(37) Buchanan  
(61) Twaddle  
O.G. (72) Higgins  

Hide Line-ups

Partick Thistle   Clyde
Tuffey Hutton
Storey Traub (46)
Harkins Potter
Archibald Higgins
Twaddle Smith
(71) Strachan Masterton
Rowson Bradley (46)
Yellow Card McStay Wilson (46)
Murray Arbuckle
Buchanan Imrie Yellow Card
(71) Chaplain M McGowan
(71) Keegan D McGowan (46) Yellow Card
Hinchcliffe Cherrie
(71) McKinlay Ruari MacLennan (46)
Lennon Connolly (46)
Boyd Doherty

Hide Match Report

by David Worton

Clyde's terrible start to the league season continued with a 4-0 thumping against derby rivals Partick Thistle at Firhill. The Bully Wee saw the return of Michael McGowan and a debut was given to Andrew Traub, with Neil McGregor suspended.

The Jags came into the match confident of continuing their good start to the season and started the game well, with Chris Higgins having to block several early attempts on goal. Then, Scott Chaplain, raced clean through on goal, only to be denied by an excellent stop from David Hutton. A goal was clearly on the cards and when Clyde failed to clear a corner, Chaplain netted from close range.

This saw a tactical change, with McGowan moving into the centre and Traub going to right back, however, the home side continued to batter Clyde's rear guard and the lively Liam Buchanan, hit the post with a curling strike.

Adam Strachan's deep cross then found Buchanan unmarked at the back post but his header was well tipped over by Hutton. Like Chaplain though, his time was soon to come. A long ball forward caught the Clyde defence square and allowed Buchanan time to fire a low shot into the bottom corner.

Clyde rarely managed to move forward and it was clear that a huge second half performance would be required even to gain some pride.

The start of the second half saw Clyde make three substitutions, with Stephen Connolly given his debut, replacing Kevin Bradley. McGowan and McLennan also replaced Wilson and Traub. With the exception of a couple of good Dougie Imrie runs, the Bully Wee caused little threat to Jonny Tuffey in the Thistle goal. Indeed, the home side continued to create chance after chance and unsurprisingly went 3-0 up in the 61st minute. A deep free-kick from Stevie Murray saw Hutton try to claim the cross, however, he was beaten to the ball by Mark Twaddle who saw his header roll into the empty net amid claims of a foul.

Clyde managed to carve out one half-chance but after Imrie was fouled on the left, Masterton saw his low freekick sliced out of play by Thistle's Adam Strachan.

Chaplain and Strachan were then replaced and within a minute, their replacements had created a 4th goal. Kevin McKinlay was set free by Paul Keegan and the ex-Ross County winger saw his low cross knocked home by the unfortunate Higgins. There was still more time for Keegan to head over from 8 yards when well placed and for Buchanan to somehow miss a close-range volley, however, fortunately there was to be no more goals for the home side as they avenged their 4-0 drubbing against Clyde last March.

The final whistle blew to leave a jubilant home side celebrating their first win in four games against Clyde after an excellent performance. The despondent Bully Wee fans left Firhill desperately wishing for the return of defenders Craig McKeown and Neil McGregor and further attacking options, before the damage caused by this poor start becomes impossible to fix.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips