Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 0 v 1 St. Johnstone

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Tuesday, 17th April 2007
Kick Off: 7:45pm
Attendance: 1,352
Referee: S MacDonald
St. Johnstone


Clyde   St. Johnstone
  Hardie (74)

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   St. Johnstone
Hutton Cuthbert
Yellow Card Harris Anderson Yellow Card
(67) McCann Stanic
MacLennan McInnes
McKeown Lawrie
Masterton James
Bryson Sheerin
Gilmour Hardie
(67) Williams MacDonald (70) Yellow Card
Imrie Scotland (85)
M McGowan McLaren
D McGowan Milne
Cherrie Halliwell
McKenna Monaghan
(67) Ferguson Jackson (85)
(67) Arbuckle Lilley (70)

Hide Match Report

by Graham Murray

Clyde entertained the expectant Saints after their impressive display 3 days earlier against Celtic in the Cup semi Final. Higgins was out suspended, so starts were handed to MaClennan in midfield and Mikey McGowan was deployed in the centre of defence. A virus to Gary Arbuckle meant Alex Williams retained his place up front.

St Johnstone knew a win would keep the pressure on Gretna at the top and started much the brighter. A good run down the right hand side by Willie McLaren saw him play a neat one two with McDonald. The young winger looked for a near post runner, but Hutton was alert to block with his feet and the danger was averted.

One-two's seemed the order play of the day, as Clyde would threaten next. Ex Saints man McCann played into Gilmour who returned the ball with a perfectly placed pass. McCann hasn't scored this season, and it showed when he screwed the ball just past the near post, from an excellent scoring position.

Clyde were coming more into the game now. MaClennan showed his skill and promise with a superb run, beating two men in the process, before running out of steam at the vital time. He weakly prodded towards Williams, but the striker was offside and another good chance was lost.

The home side continued to create chances. Brian Gilmour would control a long Harris header superbly in the box, but his shot was deflected narrowly wide off of James.

The youngster would have any even better chance minutes later after a low Masterton free kick was palmed into his path by Cuthbert, Gilmour blasted wildly over under pressure from Lawrie.

Saints would then almost snatch a goal against the run of play when McGowan and Scotland chased a long hopeful ball into the corner. Perhaps bored by the recent lack of involvement in the game, Hutton would run out to try and clear the danger and proceeded to collide with McGowan, giving Scotland a clear sight of goal. Thankfully for Clyde the ball was just inside the touchline and Scotland's effort, although on target, was from far enough out that Robert Harris had enough time to get back and block the ball 6 yards out.

Up the other end and Clyde must have started to wonder if it was going to be their night. Masterton burst forward from midfield and could not have hit a better shot with his left foot, but Cuthbert was up to the challenge and tipped the ball round the post superbly.

The second half would start, again with Saints in the ascendency, and Hutton would be called into action early on. When James won his customary header from a hopeful punt, Peter McDonald attempted and execute a superb overhead kick that Hutton was equal to tip over the bar. Both players were to surpass their earlier efforts later on in the half. A deep cross by Hardie was met superbly by McDonald and his header was powerful and low, but somehow Hutton got down quick enough to save and retain possession of the ball.

As the visitor's grew more tired, Clyde started to create chances again. A long crossfield pass was perfectly placed for McCann's clever run, but the energetic midfielder chose to sidefoot across goal when the shot was on, and the ball was cleared.

Gilmour would force another good stop from Cuthbert before Clyde were inches away from taking the lead. Sub Ferguson held the ball up well and passed inside to Masterton. From the edge of the area, the prominent midfielder would rattle the post with a rasping drive, a strike that deserved a goal.

Then the sucker punch. After Hardie had flicked the ball into Scotland's path in the area, an almighty scramble ensued, which ended with the ball landing back at Hardie's feet and he slotted past Hutton to give the visitor's the lead.

Clyde hit back straight away and Ferguson's deflected shot rebounded back of the base of the post and Imrie would blast over from a tight angle.

For endeavor and determination under trying circumstances, the visitor's deserved something from the game, but surely all three points was more than harsh on the home side after such a good display against far more illustrious opponents.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips

Video Highlights

Video Highlights