Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 3 v 0 Hamilton Academical

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 10th March 2007
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 1,467
Referee: I Brines
Hamilton Academical


Clyde   Hamilton Academical
(13) Arbuckle  
(30) Masterton  
(88) Imrie  

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Hamilton Academical
Hutton Murdoch
Yellow Card Harris Parratt Red Card
Yellow Card McCann Elebert
Higgins Easton Yellow Card
McKeown Fleming (37)
(70) Masterton Neil Yellow Card
Bryson McClen (37)
Gilmour McArthur
(90) Arbuckle Winters (23)
Yellow Card Imrie Offiong Yellow Card
Yellow Card M McGowan Gilhaney Yellow Card
Ferguson Wake (37)
Cherrie Jellema
(90) Hunter Turnbridge (37)
Williams Swales (23)
(70) Bradley McCarthy

Hide Match Report

by Graham Murray

Unsurprisingly Clyde retained the starting 11 that had seen them blow away Dundee, Gretna and Partick the previous weeks. Bad recent weather and strong winds meant this would be a battle, but we knew that anyway.

The visitor's started the game brighter, and after only 17 seconds they had a free kick in a dangerous position following a challenge which resulted in a booking.

It would be Gilhaney who had the first genuine effort in goal, when he cut inside McGowan and McCann, managed to stay on his feet, and unleashed a good shot towards the near top corner, only to see Hutton acrobatically punch away.

Up the other end of the park, McGowan found himself in a good crossing position after being found by Harris following a free kick for a foul on Imrie. McGowan did not dally, and placed a more than inviting cross into across the 6-yard, which was just too far ahead of Arbuckle, and Murdoch gratefully held the ball.

The game changed on 11 minutes. A long hopeful punt up the park by Accies saw McKeown easily head down for Harris. The young full back then played out wide to Imrie, who was then crudely taken out from behind by Accies full back Tom Parratt. Referee Brines had no hesitation in showing a straight red card.

Before Accies could settle in a more defensive formation, Clyde took the lead. A neat passage of passing play between Bryson and Harris saw the ball arrive with Imrie on the left wing. His cross wasn't great, and was right along the 18-yard line. Accies defender Easton then made a hash of the clearance straight to Ryan McCann 25 yards out. Resisting the temptation to shoot, McCann played a slide rule pass through to Arbuckle who calmly slotted home his 10th of the season.

Despite the game becoming fragmented due to Accies committing all their substitutes in quick succession, Clyde still looked to add to their lead. Arbuckle did well to meet a long ball from McGowan that held up in the high wind, but his lob went over the bar, and Imrie had a good effort saved by Murdoch after some fine play by Bryson.

A second goal seemed likely and it came from a likely source. After McGowan was adjudged to have been fouled on the corner of the box, the home crowd thought that Imrie would have a go, as the position was far more suited to a left-footer. However, Imrie ran over the ball and Masterton unleashed a cracker into the top corner. Another great strike from the midfielder who is making a habit of scoring the spectacular.

Clyde were content to use the full park to retain possession and make the youthful Accies team work very hard for possession and this continued into the second half. What was noticeable, was the problems Imrie was causing down the left hand side. On one occasion, he managed to rob Accies debutant Swailes 20 yards out, but instead of squaring to McCann who would have had an empty net to tap into, his desire to get an over due goal saw him delay too long, and he was tackled well by Elebert. Imrie was still finding quality possession on the flank though, and he set Bryson up just inside the box who cut inside and shot just wide via a deflection.

Clyde could and definitely should have killed the game off soon after. A long ball by McGowan caught Easton sleeping and Arbuckle raced clear down the right wing. He used his pace to cut inside and square the ball across goal for Gilmour, who faced with an open goal and only 4 yards out, had a lapse in concentration and pulled his effort wide.

The game was not entirely about goalmouth incidents from Clyde, and referee Brines had to issue 4 yellow cards to each team. In particular Accies Easton and Neil can count themselves lucky they did not follow their teammate up the tunnel early. Neil for appearing to catch McCann in the face after a jostle for possession and Easton for a very high and dangerous tackle was very surprisingly deemed only a yellow despite the referee having an excellent view.

Clyde's possession tactics had worked well, and the Accies youngsters were looking tired as the game drew to its conclusion.

With 2 minutes to go, Clyde scored again, and how sweet it must have been for the scorer. McGowan played a nice ball infield to substitute Bradley, who cut inside two defenders with pace, skill and relative ease. Imrie then collected the ball and moved goal wards and from 20 yards found the back of the net with a rasping left foot drive that went in via the post. Just reward for a player who had been on the receiving end of some very physical challenges throughout the game.

The win moved Clyde up to third on goal difference, and long may the superb form continue.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Video Highlights

Video Highlights