Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 3 v 1 Greenock Morton

Match Type: Challenge Cup
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Wednesday, 27th September 2006
Kick Off: 7:45pm
Attendance: 2,296
Referee: C Murray
Greenock Morton


Clyde   Greenock Morton
(13) M McGowan Higgins (63) O.G.
(41) Higgins  
(79) Bryson  

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Greenock Morton
Cherrie Gonet
McKeown Weatherson
McGregor Greacen
Higgins Harding
Yellow Card M McGowan Walker (45)
Yellow Card Bryson Millar
Yellow Card (82) O'Donnell Stevenson Yellow Card
McHale McLaughlin
Yellow Card Malone McAlistair
(76) Ferguson McGowan (76)
(89) Imrie Lilley (86)
McCann Russell
Hutton Baxter
(82) Masterton Finlayson (45)
Yellow Card (76) Arbuckle Templeman (76)
(89) Hunter McClean (86)

Hide Match Report

by Graham Murray

The Challenge cup semi final at Broadwood, brought two in form teams hoping to add their name to the trophy.After a quiet start, Clyde appeared to be denied a penalty when the Morton's Harding appeared to handle in the box. The referee ignored the protests, as did Morton as they raced up field and forced Cherrie into a fine save from a McGowan drive.

Morton were in the ascendancy at this point and Derek Lilley forced a fine blocking challenge from Higgins. McGowan had an even better chance on 10 minutes, but he blasted into the side netting from close range.The visitors were made to rue those missed chances on 12 minutes, Mickey McGowan had taken up good position on the right and shaped up to cross. His low cross went right into the danger area, where Ferguson superbly dummied, confusing the Morton defence and the keeper, and the ball ended up in the far corner of the net. Totally against the run of play, but the dummy made the goal.

Despite their promising start, the goal had clearly upset the visitors, and their early fluency was fading and the game was far more even.Just past the half hour mark and O'Donnell was booked for a fairly crude challenge. He was blocked when giving support to a Clyde attack, but almost halfing an opponent will not get the decision reversed usually!

Chances were few and far between, as the game developed into a battle of both midfields. However with 5 minutes remaining until the end of the first half, Clyde doubled their lead. A free kick was floated into the 6-yard area. With Morton keeper Gonet rooted, Ferguson showed great strength and tenacity to hold of Weatherston and nodded the ball back into the path of Higgins, who slid in for his first goal for Clyde.

Possibly a flattering scoreline at half time, but one that edged Clyde closer to their first Cup final appearance since 1958.

The second half started better for Clyde as they started to pass the ball better and the amazing effort of Imrie never gave the Morton defence a minute. Eddie Malone was unfortunate to be booked on 51 minutes for his first foul, and it also appeared he got the ball, but he would now be treading nervously for the remainder for the game.

Things got nervous for Clyde just past the hour mark, as the visitors reduced the deficit with a huge slice of luck. A dinked cross from Stevenson was met by Lilley who headed against the post from close range. The ball then ricocheted off Chris Higgins into the net.

Clyde's reaction to losing the goal was tremendous, and Malone unleashed a scorcher from all of 35 yards that Gonet tipped over the bar.McGowan was the very harshly booked for what was also his first foul, meaning he would play no part in the final should Clyde progress.

Clyde were very much on top, and both Imrie and Ferguson had shots on goal that whistled wide. Ferguson would be replaced by Arbuckle soon after.With 12 minutes to go, Clyde’s dominance since losing the goal paid off in style. Cherries kick out, saw Imrie superbly hold off his marker before flicking superbly into the path of the supporting Bryson. The Cup specialist then showed all his composure as he raced in on goal and slotted the ball home from 12 yards.

Clyde were never really threatening after this goal, as they tried to retain possession, nor were they threatened as the visitors were clearly deflated. The last of the action saw Gary Arbuckle pick up a stupid booking three minutes into injury time, for kicking the ball away. An act that will see him in the stands for the final as well.

The final whistle blew and Clyde had made it, the result from Dingwall filtered through so we can now look forward to the final on Sunday 12th November at McDiarmid Park.

MOTM - Imrie. Tremendous work ethic and the new hero to the fans.