Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 0 v 3 Airdrieonians

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Tuesday, 18th September 2001
Kick Off: 7:45pm
Attendance: 908
Referee: D McDonald


Clyde   Airdrieonians
  Coyle (13) pen.
  Roberts (17)
  Coyle (26) pen.

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Airdrieonians
Yellow Card Budinauckas Ferguson
Yellow Card Okikiolu Stewart
Dunn Gardner (69)
Red Card Smith Smith
Kernaghan James (52)
Ross Armstrong
Yellow Card Mitchell McPherson
Millen MacFarlane
Keogh McManus
(31) Hagen Roberts (57)
McPhee Coyle
Yellow Card (31) Cranmer Beesley (69)
Halliwell Bennett
Bingham Taylor (52)
Hinds McDonald
Crawford Dunn (57)

Hide Match Report

by Alan Henderson

Self destruction, despair and no hope just about sums up this debacle. Hard on the heels of the poor display against Thistle, this was the last thing the Bully Wee needed. We've had 3 good years with MacDonald and Maitland but this is definitely the low point. With a difficult away trip to Ayr on Sunday we'll see who the strong characters are around Broadwood.

The game itself opened much like the Thistle game with Clyde forcing the play. McPhee headed narrowly over after only a couple of minutes. Airdrie were obviously full of confidence and it showed in their sharp passing and running off the ball. They also left 2 men up all the time as a show of intent. Ross had a volley parried away and Keogh couldn't find the target with a free header. At the other end Airdrie were beginning to prize Clyde's defence open Budd had to make a couple of good stops. Then Airdrie made the breakthrough. They worked a good position and Roberts' shot was goal-bound until a moment of madness from Smith. Either through the frustration of last Saturday or just plain stupidity he punched the ball over the bar. So he was sent off and Owen Coyle made no mistake with the penalty. Before Clyde could settle Airdrie turned the knife. Roberts received the ball directly in front of goal and rifled a shot past an exposed Budd. Airdrie were ripping Clyde apart as they tried in vain to reorganise. The third goal came before the half hour again from the penalty spot. The Airdrie winger took a pass with loads of time and space to shoot. Jack Ross tried to stop him by bumping him over. Coyle put his penalty in the other corner and 10 man Clyde were facing a deeply embarrassing rout. To try and settle the defence Hagen was replaced by Cranmer, but it did little to stem the flow and Clyde were lucky to reach the interval at 3-0 down.

Clyde took the option of damage limitation and lined up 4-4-1 after the break. Despite the 2 banks of 4 Airdrie were still ripping Clyde apart with ease. They were enjoying the training exercise while the Clyde players were losing any confidence they had left. Clyde with only McPhee up front didn't threaten at all. Airdrie will probably be disappointed they didn't add to their total, but the damage was done in the first 30 minutes of this game. The final whistle couldn't come quick enough as Clyde blew it big style.

It's hard to see where we go from here, apart from down. The team doesn't look like a team at the moment. Confidence must be shattered and Brian McPhee will be counting the hours until he can escape back to Livingston. Clyde can't buy a goal at the moment and can't pass the ball crisply enough to trouble teams. We've had heavy defeats in the cup at Morton and Hibs to lower the spirits but two comprehensive defeats in the space of 4 days leaves very little cause for optimism.