Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Partick Thistle 3 v 0 Clyde

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Firhill Stadium
Date: Saturday, 15th September 2001
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 4,226
Referee: I Frickleton
Partick Thistle


Partick Thistle   Clyde
(11) Britton  
(34) McKinstry  
(72) Britton  

Hide Line-ups

Partick Thistle   Clyde
Klein Budinauckas
Paterson Murray
Craigan Hagen
Connaghan Smith
McKinstry Kernaghan
Archibald Ross
Dolan Mitchell Yellow Card
Yellow Card Lennon Millen
(88) Fleming Keogh
(76) McLean McClay (35)
Britton McPhee (65)
(88) Hardie Cranmer
Gow Halliwell
Huxford Crawford (35)
McDowell Convery (65)
(76) Walker Dunn

Hide Match Report

by Alan Henderson

A game to record and then quickly forget about. After Thistle opened the scoring Clyde tightened up and never really threatened the Thistle goal. John Lambie had done his homework and realised that the way to beat Clyde is on the break. Clyde were left in a sorry state and had Budinaukas to thank for preventing a real mauling.

The game kicked off and Clyde looked up for it once again. They soon won a free kick but Ross's drive was easily saved. Keogh then set up McPhee on the edge of the box but his measured shot went over the bar. Then with Thistle's first serious attack they scored. A simple punt allowed Britton to get between Murray and Smith to gather the ball. He rounded Budd to easily slide the ball home. Thistle didn't go charging after number two but instead they stifled midfield and made Clyde toil. Too often Murray, Smith or Millen had no option but to punt the ball forward giving the Thistle defence an easy time of it. Then Clyde were caught on the break again. A corner was easily gathered by Thistle's confident keeper and he sent wing back McKinstry on his way. He ran unchallenged to the edge of the box, cut inside and sent a cracker past Budd into the net. To make matters worse McClay injured himself trying to get back and was replaced by Crawford. Again Thistle just sat in and Clyde huffed and puffed. Keogh had the ball in the net but was ruled offside. Thistle nearly scored again and it took some heroics from Budd and Smith on the line to stop Clyde going further behind.

As expected, Clyde started the second half trying to get back into things. Keogh had a free header but put it over the bar. McPhee had a half chance but skied it over the bar. Thistle were content to soak up the pressure with Britton and McLean looking to exploit the space given them. Budd had to come to the rescue several times as they looked to pick Clyde off. Clyde had plenty of the ball but couldn't do anything with it. Thistle then took advantage of some slack defending to seal the game. <x> A throw in was flicked on for Britton who then had the time and space to turn and steer his shot past Budd. Clyde were a mess by this point and it took a Kernaghan shot to provide the Thistle keeper with his only real trouble of the afternoon. Convery replaced McPhee and tried to inject some life but with little effect. The final whistle couldn't come quickly enough.

In truth Thistle didn't have to work too hard for this victory as Clyde were without guile and so predictable. Another Manager has discovered Clyde are easy meat on the break and without imagination when it comes to chasing a game. Clyde's passing goes from bad to worse as they become more desperate. The McClay injury disrupted things even more, but the result seemed never in doubt after the second goal. Back to the drawing board I think. We have options, as a few rows in front of me watching the game were McCusker, Kane, Okikiolu, Hinds and McLaughlin