Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 0 v 0 Partick Thistle

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 26th August 2006
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 2,954
Referee: D McDonald
Partick Thistle

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Partick Thistle
Cherrie Arthur
McGregor Sives
Malone McCulloch
Higgins Brady
Yellow Card Harris Boyd
McHale Ferguson
Bryson J Gibson (72) Yellow Card
Yellow Card Masterton Donnelly (85)
Yellow Card (68) Ferguson Keogh
Yellow Card Imrie Roberts
(75) M McGowan B Gibson (77) Yellow Card
(68) Arbuckle G Gibson (77)
Scott Tuffey
(75) McCann McConalogue (85)
Hunter Strachan (72)
Bradley Hodge

Hide Match Report

by Graham Murray

The old alternative Glasgow Derby saw winless Clyde take on in form Partick Thistle in front of the division's biggest crowd of the day. Malone and McGowan returned from suspension, Masterton and Bryson returned from injury and a debut was handed to Andy Ferguson, with other new signing Ryan McCann making the bench. Stephen O'Donnell missed out due to injury.

The game started at a furious pace, with both teams committed, but there wasn't much football on display. Thistle were first to threaten, when a 30 yard McCulloch free kick was fairly well struck and directed well, but hit the outside of the post.

On 9 minutes Dougie Imrie found himself in excellent position, but crossed slightly behind the onrushing Ferguson who could only poke wide. Imrie also was guilty on occasion of poor control and that saw him enter the referee's book on 19 minutes, as he tried to recover possession.

On 20 minutes there could easily have been a goal at both ends as a Partick corner found Mark Roberts with a free header, but he poorly headed wide and straight up the other end a passback to Thistle keeper Arthur, saw him take a poor touch, which nearly crossed the goal line before he recovered to clear the danger.

The game was being played back to front by both sides and no one was willing to put their foot on the ball. Billy Gibson of Thistle tried, but missed by a distance and found himself joining Imrie in the referee's book, somewhat unfortunately. They were to be joined by Masterton, Harris and Ferguson of Clyde before the half was out, with only the latter really deserving of his card for a push.

Chances were still few, but Malone tried his luck with a right footed effort that Arthur tipped over, and Cherrie had to get down well to block Simon Donnelly's effort when he was put through.

Right on half-time, Ferguson had a shot blocked after a sublime cross field pass from Malone and Bryson squandered an excellent crossing opportunity when he had made the chance superbly.

The second half started with Clyde losing possession from the kick off, but that wasn't a sign of what was to follow.

Ex-Clyde man Jimmy Gibson found himself in the book for a fairly wild lunge at Malone. There were a few cross words exchanged afterwards, but the ex-teammates quickly saw the funny side and shared a joke.

On 53 minutes, Donnelly nearly capatilised on a mix up between McGregor and Cherrie, but the experienced player headed wide.

The game was being played more and more in the Thistle half by this time, with Malone very influential. Both Masterton and Ferguson tried their luck, but Ferguson was the only one who tested Arthur. It would be the debutants last involvement as Arbuckle replaced him.

Only 66 minutes and Clyde were desperately unlucky not to take the lead. Skipper McHale, who had led well by example, crashed a scorching 25-yard drive off the bar with Arthur beat well. It was a rare moment of genuine quality in the match.

Despite Clyde having more of the possession, chances were not in abundance, and a series of corners and free kicks in good positions did not produce anything.

A Partick corner in 71 minutes was met by Sives, but he headed over form 6 yards out.

With no little commitment by both sets of players, it was strange that the only other chance of note came with two minutes to go when Imrie connected superbly with a scissor kick, but the ball was deflected again on the bar and the goal never came.

In the end a draw was a more than fair result, with both teams playing route one football. A good atmosphere and crowd did not see the best of games, and despite the six bookings the game was hardly niggly or dirty.