Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Dundee 3 v 0 Clyde

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Dens Park
Date: Sunday, 20th August 2006
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 3,417
Referee: S Dougal


Dundee   Clyde
(10) Harris  
pen. (42) Lyle  
(48) Swankie  

Hide Line-ups

Dundee   Clyde
Reidford Cherrie
C McDonald McGregor
MacKenzie Bradley
Strong Higgins Yellow Card
Dixon Harris
Harris McHale
Rae Masterton
McDonald O'Donnell (59)
Robertson Arbuckle (65)
Swankie Imrie
Yellow Card (73) Lyle McCann (Trialist) (65)
(73) Deasley Hunter (59)
Murray Scott
Hay McKenna (65)
McNally Miller (65)
Campell Bryson

Hide Match Report

by David Worton

Another Sunday game for the Clyde fans, however, this one was a huge contrast to last week's excellent display against Gretna as the Bully Wee crashed to a 3-0 defeat.

Trialist Ryan McCann replaced McGowan while injury left Craig Bryson on the bench with Stevie Masterton making a pleasing return. Dundee introduced two new players - goalkeeper Callum Reidford and striker Derek Lyle - into their side, which was the only 1st division team without a point pre-match.

Dundee started brightly, with Gavin Swankie hitting the bar from close range after a long throw from Dixon. Clyde had soon replied however, as Gary Arbuckle was played through by Kevin Bradley only to shoot straight at Reidford. Dundee continued to press, with Masterton having to be lively to clear a loose ball spilled by Cherrie back into the danger area.

Then, just as Clyde seemed to have weathered the early storm, Ross Harris hit a swerving shot from 25 yards and the ball hit the back of the net.

Clyde responded strongly, with Imrie lobbing into the net from Neil McGregor's flick-on, only to be correctly denied by the linesman's flag. O'Donnell then saw his header go just over when well placed. With both front men, Bradley and Arbuckle, holding the ball up reasonably well, there were plenty of chances for midfield runners and O'Donnell was unlucky to see Scott Robertson superbly block his goal bound volley.

Sadly, Clyde were then caught on the break. Callum McDonald's long clearance found Derek Lyle running through on goal and when he was tripped by Chris Higgins in the box, Stuart Dougal didn't have any option but to award the spot kick. Lyle made no mistake, blasting the ball straight down the middle of the goal.

Clyde needed an early goal in the second half to stand any chance of victory but despite a couple of early corners, Dundee soon put the game beyond any doubt. Alex Rae created space before sliding a pass between Clyde's defenders for Swankie to knock in a deserved goal.

Clyde continued to battle for some pride, and Arbuckle then missed from 8 yards from Harris' cross. Three substitutes were introduced in an attempt to liven up the game, with Roddy Hunter, Sean McKenna and Joe Miller replacing O'Donnell, Arbuckle and McCann. Hunter nearly made an instant impact, but his close range header from Imrie's corner missed the target.

At the other end, Swankie continued to torment Chris Higgins and an impressive run ended with a strike that cannoned off the post. With holes appearing everywhere, Dundee produced their best move of the game with Rae, Harris and Swankie combining superbly to set-up Kevin McDonald, who saw his low drive slip just past.

Once again, the same problems were obvious but with McKeown, Bryson, McGowan and Malone, with Masterton struggling for fitness and you can sense there is some hope for the future.