Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Rangers 5 v 2 Clyde

Match Type: League Cup
Venue: Ibrox Stadium
Date: Tuesday, 20th September 2005
Kick Off: 7:45pm
Attendance: 30,104
Referee: M McCurry


Rangers   Clyde
(5) Buffel Bryson (51)
(74) Buffel O'Donnell (73) pen.
(98) Nieto  
(111) Andrews  
(113) Nieto  

Hide Line-ups

Rangers   Clyde
Waterreus Jarvie
Yellow Card Lowing McGregor Yellow Card
Bernard Malone Yellow Card
Andrews Harris (75)
Kyrgiakos McKeown
(83) Novo McHale
(66) Malcolm Bryson (90)
Murray O'Donnell
Lovenkrands Williams
Buffel Brighton (68)
(62) Jeffers McGowan Yellow Card
(66) Ferguson Brawley (75)
Klos Cherrie
(83) Namouchi Dick (90)
(62) Nieto Arbuckle (68)
Pierre-Fanfan Miller

Hide Match Report

Clyde are out of the CIS Cup, beaten 5-2 by Rangers, but it took three extra time goals to end the gallant effort of the young Bully Wee side.

A much more convincing defeat within regualtion time looked on the cards when Rangers' Thomas Buffel opened the scoring after just four minutes. Nacho Novo, who had missed a golden chance to score in the first minute from a Buffel cross, sent the Belgian through on Paul Jarvie with an accurate low pass. Buffel steadied himself before crashing his shot into the corner of the net.

There were Rangers claims for a penalty shortly after the opener when Peter Lovenkrands appeared to be bundled over in the box by Craig McKeown, but referee Mike McCurry was having none of it.

Ex-Evertonian Francis Jeffers was next to come nearest to extending the home team's lead in the twenty-seventh minute but his mis-hit shot, from a Robert Malcolm free kick, was well covered by Paul Jarvie and the ball was pushed away to safety.

Clyde were struggling a bit to retain possession and mount attacks but rangers were only threatening in fits ans starts. Lovenkrands almost doubled the Rangers score with a header in the thirty-sixth minute, after fine build up play from Jeffers and the impressive Buffel.

In the fortieth minute things began to look up for Clyde when Stephen O'Donnell was at the centre of some enterprising play and just on half-time a shot by Robert Harris of Clyde went over; Clyde were finishing the half with much more prominence as an attacking force and had done well to keep the score to 1-0 after the confidence-sapping start.

The positive side of Clyde, the way the Manager wants his young team to play, continued at the start of second half, with Tom Brighton catching the eye.

In the fifty-first minute Clyde equalised.

A fantastic long ball from Micky McGowan found Tom Brighton, who beat Marvin Andrews on the left flank and crossed in a dangerous ball, which eventually reached Craig Bryson just a couple of yards out withbhis back to goal. Somehow he managed toi half back-heel the ball past Ronald Waterreus. Cue delirium amongst the visiting support; a moment to remember for all Clyde fans.

In the sixty-fourth minute the industrious Micky McGowan was booked for dissent

Two minutes later Rangers replaced Francis Jeffers by Argentinian hitman Federico Nieto and two minutes after that Barry Ferguson took over from Robert Malcolm in the middle of the park.

Rangers manager Alex McLeish was taking the tie seriously, and he was right to do so. The Clyde boys, on and off the park, were rising to the occasion and growing in confidence.

Graham Roberts also shuffled his more limited pack when Tom Brighton was replaced by Gary Arbuckle.

In the seventy-third minute, Rangers' youngster Alan Lowing, who was making his competitive debut at right back for the Ibrox club, fouled Robert Harris in the box and Mr. McCurry instantly pointed to the spot.

Stephen O'Donnell appeared to be coolness personified when he converted the spot kick; sensationally Clyde were winning 2-1! What a moment! What a support!

With just seventeen minutes left to play, a lead held for any length of time would undoubtedly bring pressure from the Rangers support. It was not to be. Sixty seconds after the penalty goal later a mistake by Paul Jarvie brought Rangers back intoi the game.

A long ball from Lowing reached the edge of the area, presenting Paul with a number of options but, possibily distracted about handling outside the box, he allowed the ball to slip through his legs and Buffel pounced to fire home into the open goal.

In the seventy-fifth minute Clyde took off Robert Harris and put on Billy Brawley; eight minutes later Rangers' Nacho Novo was replaced by Hamed Namouchi. It made no difference to the score as the game headed towards extra time, and the Clyde fans were given another thirty minutes to out-shout the other twenty-nine thousand in the ground.

Just before the extra period Clyde suffered a blow when an injured Craig Bryson had to be substituted by Andrew Dick.

Eight minutes into the extra period Federico Nieto pushed Rangers ahead when Lovenkrands chested the ball into his path but Clyde were still competing. In the 105th minute Eddie Malone was booked for unsporting behaviour following a foul on the scorer of Rangers third goal; six minutes later Neil McGregor fouled the same player and suffered the same fate as Eddie Malone

This second foul and booking was to prove more costly when Marvin Andrews headed Barry Ferguson's resultant free kick past Paul Jarvie in the 111th minute. two minutes later it wasa definitely all over when Nieto grabbed his second of the night with a headed conversion of a Lovenkrands cross.

Despite the result, a great night for Clyde; Graham's gems will seldom shine brighter.