Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

St Johnstone 0 v 0 Clyde

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: McDiarmid Park
Date: Saturday, 19th November 2005
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 2,195
Referee: C Murray
St Johnstone

Hide Line-ups

St Johnstone   Clyde
Cuthbert Cherrie
Anderson McGregor Yellow Card
Stanic Malone Yellow Card
Rutkiewicz Higgins
James McKeown
Sheerin Masterton Yellow Card
Yellow Card Sheridan Harris (75)
Yellow Card Stevenson O'Donnell
Yellow Card (83) McCann Williams (81)
(32) Milne Brighton
Scotland McGowan
Dyer Hunter
Paston Scott
Hannah Dick (75)
Yellow Card (32) Dobbie Bradley
Yellow Card (83) Coyle Miller (81)

Hide Match Report

by Graham Murray

After a lengthy delay getting into the ground, due to slippery conditions on the terraces, The Clyde support were in buoyant mood following the performance the week before. Changes in personnel were needed as the cold weather claimed the health of Messer's Bryson and Jarvie, meaning a first league start for Peter Cherrie in goal. After only 30 seconds Neil McGregor was late in on Jason Scotland of St johnstone. A bad tackle, but a harsh yellow card, which meant the Clyde star was walking a tightrope for the entire game. The first 20 minutes was open and even, with Masterton in particular shining with possession and linking very well with McGowan down the right hand side.

Cherrie was at this point having a fairly quiet debut, but was alive and sharp to rush out to thwart the on rushing Milne with a headed clearance. St Johnstone's game plan was scuppered slightly after 30 minutes when dangerous striker Steven Milne had to be replaced by Scott Dobie due to a hamstring injury.

Masterton's early influence in the game had been nullified to an extent by the tenacity and guile of former favourite Darren Sheridan, and the young midfielder was booked in 35 minutes, for what the referee signalled as jersey pulling, although it appeared to many Clyde fans that it was mistaken identity as Stephen O'Donnell had been penalised for a tackle.

2 minutes later came Clyde's best chance of the half, when Brighton cut across his marker and slipped an inch perfect pass cross field to the on rushing Robert Harris, the youngster showed poise and and pace, and fired a great shot netbound, only to see it acrobatically tipped over by Cuthbert in the home teams goal. From the resulting corner, Malone's consistently good delivery found an unmarked Tom Brighton, who could only meekly glance the ball onwards instead of goalwards, the ball found Alex Williams at he back post and his header was blocked on the goal- line by Paul Sheerin, who then denied O'Donnell with his follow up attempt. The ball was only cleared to the halfway line, and Higgins set up O'Donnell whose cutback along the six-yard box, should have been met by a Clyde player for a certain goal.

The only other notable incident in the 1st half was when O’Donnell went beyond the strikers, but his effort was high, wide and handsome. The team could count themselves unlucky that the didn’t have a goal to show for their efforts, but there was still a worrying tendency to play the ball up into the general direction of Kevin James, who doesn’t lose out on many headers, even when he’s on his knees.

The same player, should have given Saints the lead straight after the re-start, when an early corner met him 6 yards out, but he couldn’t keep his header down.

The officials interrupted the game flow on several occasions, and the next 15 minutes were made up of bookings for Malone and two Saints players, although McGregor and Harris made superb last-ditch tackles on the dangerous Jason Scotland.

There was no doubt that St Johnstone, at this point were enjoying the better possession, and on 77 minutes should really have taken the lead when Kevin Rutkiewicz found himself with a free header, at a great height with only Cherrie to beat, but the big defender could only direct his header well wide, when it looked much easier to head goalwards. Clyde’s response was quick, and Malone, who seems destined to never score, found a good bit of space from an O’Donnell free kick and forced another good save from Cuthbert.

Indeed Malone could have stolen the three points when he superbly cut inside only to send his right footed shot closer to the corner flag than the corner of the net, with only 4 minutes remaining.

The action wasn’t finished there, with the home side even pushing on their manager in an attempt to gain the three points. A free kick could easily have been awarded if the referee had spotted a handball well outside the area by McKeown, Dobie had a shot blocked by Cherrie and with the last kick of the ball, Scotland screwed his shot wide from 8 yards. At the final whistle, Clyde had gained a good point against a team, who will no doubt be in contention at the top of the table. In a performance where there was some positives, but also some negatives, such as our unusual inability to get the ball into dangerous positions for our dangerous attackers, a point was deserved and knowing that we can play better, hopefully against Airdrie.

Cherrie **** Didn’t have too much to do, but confidence wasn’t an issue and can be pleased.
McGregor ***** Another superb display, especially considering his early misdemeanor.
Malone **** Energetic, and harshly booked. Really playing well at the moment.
Higgins **** Almost un-noticed and kept things simple, always a good sign for a defender.
McKeown **** Safe and dependable, another player bang in form.
Masterton *** Started very brightly, but booking result in a subdued performance for rest of game.
Harris *** Quite wasteful in possession, but made a superb last-ditch tackle.
O’Donnell *** Struggling to get his feet to match his brain, but not through any lack of effort.
Williams *** Quiet game from the inform striker, mainly due to poor service
Brighton *** Same as Williams
McGowan **** Had a superb 1st 45, but the ball didn’t find its way to him that often in the second half, despite taking up numerous good positions.

Dick ** 17 minutes of action, but hardly featured
Miller ** 11 minutes, was hungry and attack minded, perhaps an extra twenty minutes could have made a difference.