Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Airdrie United 1 v 3 Clyde

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: New Broomfield
Date: Saturday, 1st October 2005
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 1,603
Referee: I Fyfe
Airdrie United


Airdrie United   Clyde
(74) McKeown Williams (3)
  Brighton (62)
  Williams (66)

Hide Line-ups

Airdrie United   Clyde
Hollis Jarvie
McKenna McGregor
(60) Lovering Malone
McGowan Higgins Yellow Card
Yellow Card McManus McKeown Yellow Card
Yellow Card (67) Hardie Harris
(46) McPhee Bryson Yellow Card
Docherty O'Donnell
Prunty Williams (84)
Twigg Brighton (87)
McLaren McGowan Yellow Card
Yellow Card (60) McKeown Arbuckle (87)
Robertson Cherrie
(67) Barkey Dick
(46) McDougall Bouadji
Coyle Hunter (84)

Hide Match Report

Clyde striker Alex Williams scored a double to help The Bully Wee to a comfortable win in the end over Airdrie United at New Broomfield.

The visitors opened the scoring after just three minutes with a deflected free-kick following a foul on Stephen O'Donnell. Alex Williams' drive hit the back of the unfortunate Gary Twigg, leaving Airdrie keeper Lee Hollis helpless on his line.

It was just the confidence-boosting start the Clyde management team had been looking for.

In the eleventh minute, Tom Brighton was upended by Neil McGowan but the Bully Wee's penalty claims were dismissed by the referee. Sixteen minutes later, Clyde keeper Paul Jarvie showed his abilities as a shot-stopper when he pulled off a brilliant double save from the Diamonds' Gary Twigg and then Bryan Prunty.

In the thirty-first minute Clyde's lead somehow remained intact when Prunty headed over the crossbar from five yards out.

Airdrie United continued to press for an equaliser and Willie McLaren's corners were causing some problems for the the Clyde rearguard. Airdrie striker Brian McPhee had a couple of near headers before Twigg blazed over just before the break.

Clyde were ahead a half-time but few of the travelling fans would claim they were on top.

Things improved in the second half as Clyde moved into a 0-3 lead. First, Tom Brighton dribbled his way towards goal before hitting a shot under keeper Hollis in the sixty-second minute, then four minutes later Alex Williams rifled in a shot from close range.

The home side belatedly scored through Stephen McKeown in the seventy-fourth minute but it was little more than a consolation goal as Clyde won a "must win" game after the team's disappointing display the previous week against St.Johnstone.