Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 1 v 1 St. Johnstone

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Tuesday, 22nd March 2005
Kick Off: 7:45pm
Attendance: 1,223
Referee: D McDonald
St. Johnstone


Clyde   St. Johnstone
(57) Burns McManus (50)

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   St. Johnstone
Halliwell Samson
Mensing Dyer
Yellow Card Bollan Anderson
Balmer Cowan
Potter Maxwell
Sheridan McAnespie
Yellow Card Burns McManus
Gilhaney Sloan (71)
(64) Jones Hannah
Yellow Card Malone McCann
(85) Harty MacDonald
(64) Arbuckle Baxter
Morrison Cuthbert
(85) Gardiner Forsyth
Greenhill Stevenson
McKeever Dobbie (71)

Hide Match Report

by Alan Henderson

Clyde's hopes of putting any pressure on Falkirk's lead took a dent as they fought out a poor 1-1 draw with St Johnstone.

Clyde started the game off the pace of St Johnstone and by the end were visibly out on their feet as March's heavy fixture list finally took its toll.

Saturday's fine victory at Airdrie proved a false dawn as the Bully Wee were clearly running on empty. Yet the spirit was there for all to see as they held a much brighter and fitter St Johnstone to a draw.

Clyde retained the same starting eleven and formation (3-5-2) as Saturday, but St Johnstone had all the early pressure and some poor finishing meant Halliwell had little to do while Sampson the other goal was a mere spectator.

Building any moves at all was proving difficult for Clyde as Saints were always quick to fill the midfield and get back in numbers. Saints eventually began to home in on the target and one outstanding reflex save from Halliwell kept them at bay. The set-play looked like being Clyde's best bet and finally before half-time they were able to create some panic in the St Johnstone ranks from corners.

As the interval approached the dreaded 0-0 scoreline was passing through everybody's minds.

Thankfully, St. Johnstone didn't take long to lift the tempo with a goal five minutes after the interval. Clyde's defence stood off as a run down the right produced a cutback that was neatly steered home by McManus. Could Clyde go to the well once again and find the energy to pull the game back?

To their credit they did. The pressure resulted in a fifty-seventh minute free kick at the edge of the box and Burns swerved the ball around the wall and into the corner of the net. Suddenly it all looked possible for a while as Clyde lifted the tempo and pushed men forward.

Composure was lost though, as it all went route-one to try and find the head of Jones. Arbuckle soon replaced Jones as Clyde tried to find more pace but, as a whole, the team was flagging and Saints were looking very dangerous on the break.

In the final minutes Clyde were pushing everybody up to try and keep the season alive and this led to some ludicrous breaks that Saints somehow managed to squander as almost nobody was chasing back.

In the end, Clyde were lucky to escape with a point as Saints for whatever reason didn't seemed overly bothered to push home their advantage. Thank goodness the lads will have a break on Saturday and a chance to recover from the rigours of March.

This was just one game too many and it showed. Barring the miracle of a complete Falkirk collapse the aim must now be to keep focussed and secure second spot once again.

Clyde Star Ratings (*****)
Halliwell **** Mr Reliable once again
Mensing **** Versatility put the test in a number of positions
Bollan *** Tough shift as the legs of the team wilted
Balmer *** Troubled wide right but improves as the games become stretched
Potter ***** Leading by example
Sheridan *** Always game but not at his sharpest
Burns *** Fine goal and some good runs but looked tired
Gilhaney **** All over the park but sadly not near the opposition goal
Jones *** Fought every header but again didn't look sharp
Malone *** Usual energy level but often a spectator
Harty *** Little sight of goal and again another who looked fatigued

Arbuckle *** Adds pace and flair - lets see it more often
Gardiner * Little time to make an impression.