Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Queen of the South 0 v 1 Clyde

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Palmerston Park
Date: Wednesday, 2nd March 2005
Kick Off: 7:45pm
Attendance: 1,448
Referee: K Clark
Queen of the South


Queen of the South   Clyde
  Bollan (23)

Hide Line-ups

Queen of the South   Clyde
Barnard Halliwell
(64) Craig Mensing Yellow Card
Reid Bollan
Paton Balmer
Yellow Card Thomson Potter
(89) Burns Burns
Lovell Bryson
Bowey Gibson (46)
Jaconelli Jones (72)
(64) McLaughlin Malone
Yellow Card Wood Harty (88) Yellow Card
(64) Gibson Bradley
Wright Morrison
English Arbuckle (46)
(64) Williams Wilson (72)
(89) McNiven Gilhaney (88)

Hide Match Report

by Bob McPherson

The Doonhamers started in energetic fashion, not allowing a Clyde side missing the influential Darren Sheridan to get into any sort of rhythm, and within the first few minutes the homesters' Jim Thomson was presented with a free header from a corner but could only send it over the bar.

Queens had the bulk of the early possession with Clyde looking content to play on the break. On the quarter hour mark, the ball was lobbed over the home defence for Alex Burns to run on to. The on-loan midfielder in turn set up Ian Harty in the six yard box but Clyde's top scorer saw his effort from point-blank range pushed over the bar by Queens' keeper Richie Barnard.

It was an early reminder to Queens about Clyde capabiliites.

The Dumfries side continued to play the better football and dominate possession, but this was being achieved by a five man midfield, a set-up that blunted their attack and meant Clyde's defence was not being over-stretched.

In the twenty-third minute the deadlock was broken as a Clyde corner was headed towards the back post by captain John Potter. Queen's midfielder Steve Bowey, guarding that post, could only push the ball out as far as Gary Bollan who lashed it home to open the scoring.

One-nil to the Bully Wee, the most discouraging scoreline for each of Clyde's First Division opponents.

The remainder of the first half followed the pre-goal pattern but at the beginnning of the second period Clyde threatened to double their lead as a cross box ball from the right saw Ian Harty crashing to the ground inside the box. In the resultant disagreement, Queens' Jim Thomson and top scorer Ian Harty were both booked.

Play in the remainder of the second half didn't deviate much from what had gone before. Queens continued to press, created very little and never really looked like scoring.

Clyde were as usual more than able to soak up the pressure. Three more points "on the board" as Billy Reid is fond of saying. It's a board that makes impressive reading.