Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 0 v 1 Queen of the South

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 12th March 2005
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 1,060
Referee: H Dallas
Queen of the South


Clyde   Queen of the South
  McNiven (69)

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Queen of the South
Halliwell Barnard
Mensing Reid
Bollan English
(67) Balmer Payne
Potter Paton (70)
Sheridan Thomson
(70) Burns Lovell
(73) Gibson Bowey (86)
Gilhaney McColligan
Malone McNiven
Harty Lyle
(70) Arbuckle Gibson (86)
Morrison Scott
Wilson Jaconelli
(67) Jones Williams
(73) Bryson Wood (70)

Hide Match Report

by Alan Henderson

Another 1-0 scoreline but oddly for this season Clyde were on the wrong end of it. If we're being honest we can't deny it has been coming for some time. Although Clyde were back to something resembling full-strength, a range of refereeing decisions and poor finishing meant Clyde failed to register a goal in three consecutive league matches. The defeat was all the more galling as Falkirk had dropped points too.

Clyde opted for a 3-5-2 formation with the versatility of Mensing being used again at wing-back. Up front the diminutive pairing of Harty and Gilhaney were always going to struggle.

Clyde began on the back foot once again as Queen's fired in half a dozen shots all thankfully straight at Halliwell. Lyle also had a glaring miss when the ball broke to him in the box. Under-pressure Clyde were simply launching the ball to Harty and Gilhaney and it was coming straight back.

Yet Clyde carved out two good chances but both Mensing and Harty failed to trouble the keeper. Eventually with the interval looming Clyde made an important tactical change to 3-4-3 by pushing Mensing up front to give some physical presence.

The tactical change seemed to work as after the interval Clyde had their best spell of the game. Sadly this period will be remembered for a terrible miss from Gibson.

The midfielder sprung the offside trap and was through on goal. He made easy work of rounding the keeper but with the angle narrowing he failed to steady himself and his finish ended up the wrong side of the post. Bollan also saw his ferocious strike cannon off the keeper's chest and away to safety.

Queen's made the most of Clyde's misfortune and scored at the other end. Clyde were pulled from flank to flank and the ball was stood up at the far post for McNiven to nod home from close range. Clyde, as they always do, battled back and Harty's 'goal' was ruled offside. By this time Balmer, Burns and Gibson were replaced by Arbuckle, Bryson and Jones as Clyde fought desperately for an equaliser.

Near the end Harty was put through and although seemingly impeded in the box his shot was saved by the keeper. If he'd fell over a penalty would probably have resulted but Referee Dallas allowed play to continue amidst the protests. The joy on the Queen's faces at the end showed how much this result meant to them.

The problem now facing Billy Reid is how to keep the show on the road. The title challenge looks forlorn and talk of new contracts is non-existent at the moment. It will be a real test of his management skills to keep the enthusiasm and energy levels up as the season draws to a close.

Clyde Star Ratings (*****)

Halliwell **** Safe as ever.
Mensing **** Mr Versatile but as yet untried as a goalkeeper.
Bollan **** Playing very steadily at the back.
Balmer ** Struggling with his passing.
Potter **** Well up to his high standard.
Sheridan *** A bit subdued as suspension looms.
Burns ** Not enjoying his game at all.
Gibson *** Battled away but struggling with knocks.
Gilhaney *** Some fine runs but very wasteful too.
Malone *** Competed as usual but failed to get forward much.
Harty *** Always a threat but finishing was not up to standard.

Arbuckle *** Always gives a spark with his pace.
Jones *** Provides Clyde with a target when he appears.
Bryson ** Little time to make an impact.