Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

St. Mirren 0 v 0 Clyde

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: St. Mirren Park
Date: Saturday, 5th March 2005
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 2,730
Referee: J Underhill
St. Mirren

Hide Line-ups

St. Mirren   Clyde
Hinchcliffe Halliwell
McGowne Mensing Yellow Card
(48) van Zanten Bollan Yellow Card
Yellow Card Millen Balmer
Broadfoot Potter (48)
Yellow Card Yellow Card Murray Burns
(71) O'Neil Arbuckle (76)
Reilly Gibson Yellow Card
Yellow Card Lappin Bryson (58)
(65) Russell Malone
McGinty Harty
Ellis Sheridan (58) Yellow Card Yellow Card
Woods Morrison
(48) Crilly Jones (76)
(71) Baird Gilhaney (48)
(65) Gillies Wilson

Hide Match Report

by Alan Henderson

Hopefully the more astute of you put lots of money on a goalless draw as we all saw this outcome coming from a long way off. With fatigue, injuries and suspensions now hitting the squad very hard, Clyde set out not to concede a goal. They achieved that much but in the process they rarely troubled St Mirren and the net result was Falkirk stretched their lead by another two points.

Clyde opted to play Harty on his own again as Sheridan and Jones were kept on the bench. The opening spell saw Clyde earn a few corners and it looked like they might show some attacking enterprise but both sides were guilty of some dreadful passing. McGinty shaved a post with a header and O'Neill had a goal chalked off for offside as Saints began to dominate the proceedings. Clyde were making the occasional burst through Arbuckle but the final ball was always poor and often there was nobody in the box anyway.

Matters could only liven up in the second half but not in the stylish footballing sense. Instead the game developed into a physical battle with a very inconsistent referee struggling to keep the game under control. Potter was clearly struggling and was replaced by Gilhaney forcing a reshuffle in the defence. Sheridan and Jones replaced Bryson and Arbuckle as Clyde tried to freshen things up.

Saints rattled the bar with a McGinty strike as Clyde camped in their own half. Harty had one break brought to an abrupt end by Millen and Burns had a couple of fierce shots straight at Hinchcliffe. Saint's Murray was eventually asked to leave the field after a blatant kick at Sheridan followed by a late tackle on Burns. To even up matters Sheridan was also quickly dismissed as the game heated up.

A Gilhaney cross nearly caught out the keeper as it ran along the bar but at the death Broadfoot saw his shot tipped over by Halliwell as Clyde held on.
A point at Love Street is good but did Clyde really set out to win this game and close the gap on Falkirk? Now with a plethora of suspensions looming it will be interesting to see the shape of the team Clyde can put out on Tuesday for the return leg of this goalless saga.

Clyde Star Ratings (*****)
Halliwell ***** Once again the major reason for Clyde not losing.
Mensing **** Stuck to his task well in difficult circumstances.
Bollan **** Steady and showed all his experience.
Balmer **** Held the defence together after Potter went off.
Potter *** Strong as usual but obviously carrying an injury.
Burns *** Lots of talent but fades in and out.
Arbuckle *** Mystery why he's not employed down the middle.
Gibson *** Battled for all his worth.
Bryson *** Showed his usual thrust but looked jaded in the second period.
Malone **** Kicked from pillar to post but fought his corner well.
Harty *** Thankless task but chased and harried for all his worth.
Gilhaney *** Should find a starting slot in the coming games.
Sheridan ** A cameo best forgotten about.
Jones *** If he's anywhere near fit play him.