Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 1 v 0 Ross County

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Ross County
Date: Saturday, 19th February 2005
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 1,086
Referee: W Young
Ross County


Clyde   Ross County
(52) Harty  

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Ross County
Halliwell Stewart
Mensing Lauchlan
Bollan Robertson
Balmer McCulloch
(73) Potter Canning
Sheridan Taylor (72)
(67) Burns Cowie
Gibson Rankin
Bryson Kilgannon (63)
Malone Tiernan
Harty Winters (63)
(67) Arbuckle Higgins (72)
Morrison Garden
(73) Gilhaney Burke (63)
Gardiner McGarry (63)
Greenhill MacDonald

Hide Match Report

Clyde triumphed over Ross County at Broadwood for the second time in four days when an Ian Harty goal not only gave the Bully Wee yet another 1-0 win but narrowed the gap at the top of the table following Falkirk’s 1-1 draw with Queen of the South at Palmerston. Clyde are now within fifteen points of Falkirk with three games in hand.

Clyde retained the same starting eleven, with cup goal hero Gary Arbuckle remaining on the bench. Compared to the midweek cup clash, this game never reached the heights, with both teams looking as if their Scottish Cup exertions had taken their toll. However County, in the first half at least, passed and moved much better than a rather sluggish Clyde.

County midfielder John Rankin was again the visitors’ star man and was always at the heart of his side’s better moves but despite enjoying the majority of possession, they failed to trouble the Clyde defence as the scoreline stayed blank at the break.

County had begun by forcing an early corner but Sean Kilgannon’s delivery from the quarter circle was easily caught by Bryn Halliwell at his near post. Gary Bollan was dispossessed by David Winters when he dwelt too long on the ball and although Rankin picked up the defensive header from Winters’ cross, his hard-hit finish was over the crossbar.

Midway through the first period there was a close call at each end. First of all, David Winters cushioned a long ball on his chest before turning John Potter to land a shot on the roof of the net. Then Clyde came even closer to opening the scoring when Alex Burns whipped a free-kick into the box where a miscue from Ian Harty benefited Potter who flicked the ball against the bar.

County responded with the move of the half involving a three-man passing foray up the left flank between Winters, Kilgannon and Mark McCulloch which ended with the latter shooting narrowly past the upright. Clyde’s John Potter then shuddered the cross-bar from six yards after Ian Harty had scuffed his connection. This was an isolated flurry amidst a scrappy display by Clyde.

Almost on half-time Winters stormed upfield and crossed low from the right. Don Cowie, from barely three yards out, somehow failed to convert. It was a gilt-edged chance squandered at the end of a first period of half chances which belonged to County.

Rankin was again prominent at the start of the second half and sent a clever diagonal ball into the Clyde box which just eluded Winters. Halliwell managed to flop on to the ball as Taylor closed in.

It always looked as though one goal would settle it and despite being on the receiving end for most of the match, Clyde broke the deadlock via the route-one method.

In the fifty-third minute Brynn Halliwell launched the ball long and high downfield and left back Mark McCulloch, facing the sun, appeared to misjudge the flight of the dropping ball allowing the unmarked Harty to break free, carry the ball into the box, pick his spot and shoot past the advancing Colin Stewart.

It was great for Clyde but a real sucker punch for an up till then in control County.

The opportunist goal strike from in-form striker Ian Harty lifted Clyde who became more positive and Craig Bryson caused a stir in the visitors’ defence when his cross bounced off the bar.

County tried to mount a fighting finish and substitute Alex Burke shot wide when well placed to find the target.

However, it was Clyde at the other end came close to scoring again when substitute Gary Arbuckle brought out a fine save from Stewart as the home side hung on for the narrow, if not altogether convincing, victory.

Few would argue with the visiting manager’s post-match verdict: “We ran the game for long enough, then we are beaten by a bloody big kick up the park. That was criminal,” bemoaned Alex. Smith.