Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Brechin City 2 v 5 Clyde

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Glebe Park
Date: Saturday, 15th May 2004
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 1,268
Referee: D McDonald
Brechin City


Brechin City   Clyde
pen. (80) Templeman Keogh (2)
(88) Templeman Keogh (20)
  Smith (25)
  Smith (57)
  Keogh (79)

Hide Line-ups

Brechin City   Clyde
Budinauckas Halliwell
White McCluskey
(64) Black McCann
Johnson Fotheringham (79)
(35) King McLaughlin
McLeish Ross (83)
Winter McConalogue (75)
Templeman Marshall
Gibson Smith
Hampshire Gibson
Dowie Keogh
Deas Harty (83)
Hay Morrison
(35) McCulloch Hagen
Mitchell Gilhaney (75)
(64) Boylan Doyle (79)

Hide Match Report

by Alan Henderson

For a while at half time it seemed miracles might happen but the silence midway through the second half told the story. Clyde were coasting to victory but Inverness were doing the business at their end too. So a roller coaster season ended on a down but at least we still have a Bully Wee to support next season.

Alan Kernaghan left himself out leaving a central partnership of McLaughlin and Fotheringham. The injured Harty only made the bench while Clyde began with a front three of Keogh, McConalogue and Smith. Clyde got off to the perfect start when within two minutes McConalogue headed the ball across to Keogh and he nodded the ball into the net. Brechin at that stage weren't there to make up the numbers and curling shot came off the junction of post and bar with Halliwell beaten. After 15 minutes Clyde found themselves two up. McConalogue made a run into the box only to see his shot blocked by the keeper but Keogh was on hand to ram the rebound into the roof of the net. Clyde couldn't quite relax though as McCluskey made a hash of a backpass that was fortunate to go unpunished. Andy Smith saw his lob go over the bar but didn't have to wait long to get on the score sheet. A simple corner found him unmarked and he headed into the net to leave Clyde coasting.

At the beginning of the second half there was everything to play for. Clyde came straight out of the blocks and penned Brechin back with a series of corners. Sadly it soon became evident that Inverness had taken the lead up north and the tempo of the game dropped. Andy Smith scored again when he got on the end of a Keogh flick to nod home and Keogh himself sealed his hat trick with a fine drive into the corner of the net from the edge of the box. With nothing to play for Clyde switched off and Brechin stuck to their task and won a penalty when McLaughlin tripped Templeman. The big striker just squeezed the ball past Halliwell. With time running out Templeman grabbed a second to make the scoreline more respectable.

At the end the fans came onto the pitch to thank their heroes and commiserate with them. Many will have played their last game for Clyde and we wish them all the best. Ultimately Clyde failed but the bigger picture is that we still have a club at all. There were times in recent months when Clyde could easily have been consigned to the history books. Whatever happens over the summer it's a fresh start.

Congratulations to Inverness and we hope they take their place in the SPL.


Halliwell *** Quiet day at the office.
McCluskey *** Efficient but not a full back.
McCann *** Saw a lot more action today.
Fotheringham *** Steady game if unspectacular.
McLaughlin *** Reserved performance from the big man.
Ross **** Sterling stuff in his last game.
McConalogue *** Collected the ball well but didn't threaten much.
Marshall *** Some fine tricks from the youngster.
Smith **** May be cumbersome but knows the way to goal.
Gibson **** Usual nippy stuff from the midfielder.
Keogh **** A hat trick to round off six seasons - what more?

Gilhaney ** Not much of an impact.
Doyle ** One for the future?
Harty ** A few darts in a lost cause to round off the season.