Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 4 v 2 Falkirk

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 24th January 2004
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 3,161
Referee: K Toner


Clyde   Falkirk
(57) Marshall McAnespie (25) pen.
(59) Harty Colqhoun (44)
(77) McLaughlin  
(90) Keogh  

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Falkirk
Morrison Hill
(56) Fraser McAnespie (70)
Mensing Sharp
McCluskey Lawrie
McLaughlin Hughes
(90) Ross McKenzie
Hagen Latapy
Marshall McPherson
(80) Smith O'Neil (86)
Yellow Card Gibson Colqhoun
Harty Xausa
(80) Gilhaney Scally
Halliwell Ferguson
McConalogue Rahim (70) Red Card
(90) Doyle Lee (86)
(56) Keogh McSween

Hide Match Report

by Brian Yule

If Falkirk striker David Xausa had, had his shooting boots on instead of missing three good chances in the opening 12 minutes, Clyde may have been more two down at the break but as it was The Bully Wee rode their luck to produce a minor miracle claiming all three points. The ex-Livingston man, who is playing out his final month in Scotland before returning to Canada, was first denied by a brilliant challenge by Mark McLaughlin. Next he twisted and turned in the box but sliced wide and next headed a John O'Neil cross off target. However, on 25 minutes Falkirk did take the lead. Clyde keeper Alan Morrison hesitated coming for an O'Neil through ball, Colquhoun got there first and he was brought down as he tried to go past Morrison. O'Neil had missed a penalty the last time the sides met and he stepped aside for McAnespie to do the honours. Nothing was going Clyde's way. Jimmy Gibson found his route to goal blocked and then Colin Marshall smacked a 25-yard shot off the inside of the post. They were made to pay as Falkirk went two up a minute before half-time. The dancing feet of Russell Latapy twisted and turned on the right of the box and Colquhoun couldn't miss heading in the Trinidad and Tobago star's chip from four yards out.

Clyde regrouped at half-time and the introduction of Pat Keogh in 56 minutes saw a new team on the pitch. A minute after coming on Keogh's stumbling luckily let the ball roll into the path of Marshall. The youngster had his range this time and sent the ball into the top corner from 25-yards. Two minutes later the Bully Wee were level. Keogh's presence allowed Ian Harty to fire past Darren Hill in the Falkirk goal. Clyde's and Marshall in particular looked in the mood; however trying to chip Hill from about 20 yards at high speed was probably a little ambitious. Bairns' defender James Sharp was doing all he could to hold back the tide and was lucky to get away with several challenges (and a blatant handball) which referee Kevin Toner somehow thought were okay. Simon Mensing had to clear the ball off his own line after a misplaced header by David Hagen almost gave his old side back the lead. Clyde were continuing to dominate and took the lead on 77 minutes. A Gibson free-kick was swung in and McLaughlin rose to power the ball past Hill. Falkirk's Brent Rahim was send off for barging Ross and McLaughlin and Bairns' substitute Jason Lee were lucky to stay on following the resultant melee Ross was taken off for treatment but for some reason wasn't allowed back on and Paul Doyle was sent on as a replacement. Doyle was just on the pitch just long enough to celebrate the Clyde fourth as four minutes into injury time they rubbed salt into the wounds. Mark Gilhaney chased down a weak Hughes backpass and Pat Keogh was on hand to tap home.


Morrison ** Conceded a (disputed) penalty, lost a goal and had little else to do.
Fraser ** Struggled with fitness and position.
Mensing *** Poor first half but improved after formation change.
McCluskey **** Quietly and effectively went about his business.
McLaughlin ***** Outstanding all round performance.
Ross *** Another who improved as the match went on.
Hagen ** Seemed to be off the pace for most of the match.
Marshall **** His best match in a Clyde shirt.
Smith *** Offered the usual hard work and professionalism.
Gibson *** Was involved in most of Clyde's positive play.
Harty **** Superb second half made up for very poor first.

Keogh *** Can change a match with minimal touches of the ball.
Gilhaney *** Exactly what was needed in the last 10 minutes.
Doyle * Injury time replacement.


ALAN KERNAGHAN - "We knew that we were poor in the first half. We just didn't do the things that we've done to get us where we are. That changed second half when it was more like what I'm used to watching. It was great; all the goals were good and we defended a lot better.

"We've said to the players that they make things so hard for themselves. Maybe that's taking a bit away from Falkirk because they played well in the first half but we were second to everything.

"There didn't seem to be any way back and it would have been easy to go ballistic at half-time but I think we are learning that that doesn't get us anywhere. We told the players to be confident and if a goal came early then it would all change. 2-1 is probably the hardest lead to defend and it was proved right.

"Colin was unlucky with a shot that hit the post in the first half and playing against Falkirk seems to bring out the best in him because he had a few good efforts at their place. Since that match he hadn't really done anything so I was pleased that he managed to get the goal and get things going again. The ball is in his court; we've given him the stage so he has to go and do his acting.

"John Fraser has been struggling all week with an ankle injury so he was probably the easiest one to take off. We took a chance going 3 v 3 at the back but fortunately it worked.

"Ian Harty was a totally different player in the second half, as a lot of them were.

"Paddy's goal was the icing on the cake because Mark Gilhaney chases things down and chases lost causes and he showed great awareness to cut the ball back to Paddy who then had an easy job. That's the type of goal we don't usually score, usually someone will be greedy and have a shot, so it was good to see.

"It will be hard for me to get back into the team but I've got no qualms about that. I'd much rather have the competition anywhere on the park.

"We're now a good distance away from Falkirk but Inverness keep winning."

JOHN HUGHES - "We totally dominated the first half and got our reward for the way we played football. We told our players at half-time what to expect from Clyde in the first 20 minutes of the second half but we didn't cope. Their first goal is a great strike but the second is comic book stuff. I made mistakes for goals 3 and 4 and I'll put my hand up for that. I never hide from it but a few of my players need to do the same.

"I said to my players all week that we'd have a big support here and I wouldn't ask them to do anything they couldn't do so just pass the ball and they did that. We got in front by passing the ball but we didn't do it in the second half.

"It was typical Clyde the way they go about their business with spirit and it has to be applauded. I like passing the ball but there are plenty ways of winning a match and you have to take your hat off to them. They never give up and you can see the spirit in their team.

"I'll always give people an honest answer and winning the league will be very difficult for us. The Falkirk fans here today know that there are exciting things going on at the club and it's a great place to be at the moment. We owe it to them to keep performing and keep picking up wins - who knows what can happen."