Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 3 v 1 Queen of the South

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 22nd November 2003
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 1,271
Queen of the South


Clyde   Queen of the South
(53) Smith Wood (45)
(56) Harty  
(60) Smith  

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Queen of the South
Morrison Scott
Mensing Reid
McLaughlin Aitken
Kernaghan Paton
(83) Gibson Bowey
Ross Bagan
Hagen McAlpine
Marshall McColligan
Smith Burke
McGroarty Wood
(83) Harty Burns
(83) Gilhaney Allan
Clark Dodds
(83) Millen Atkinson
Fraser Lyle
Doyle Jaconelli

Hide Match Report

by Alan Henderson

A burst of action early in the second half was enough for Clyde to reverse a half time deficit and topple the League leaders with something to spare. Not many would have predicted such an outcome at the end of the first half.

Clyde's problems started early as Keogh didn't even last through the warm up. Andy Smith was pitched into the fray with Harty beside him as McConalogue didn't even make the bench. Marshall and Gibson retained their places in a refreshed midfield with Ross playing down the middle. Again Clyde opted for a back four consisting of Mensing, McGroarty, Kernaghan and McLaughlin.

The game began in lacklustre fashion and was only enlivened when Smith and Queen's kepper Scott went for a cross. Ross, lurking on the edge of the box, tucked it away but the referee gave a foul on the keeper. Scott stayed down and was stretchered off with young Dodds taking over in goal. Clyde weren't to test his mettle for quite while. Queen's as expected were breaking at speed but although they looked threatening Morrison was rarely troubled. In one of Clyde's rare fluent moves Harty moved forward and played in Smith but his angled shot in the box was well turned away by the keeper. A free kick saw McLaughlin's downward header scrambled off the line with no takers for the second ball. At the other end a dreadful pass inside by Mensing was intercepted and Bowie saw his powerful strike come off the post. Then with half time approaching Queens snatched the lead. McGroarty decided to show off his dribbling skills from deep in his own half. He beat four of five players but then lost the ball and Queens switched the play to the area he should have been covering. McLaughlin was skinned as he tried to cover and a cross across the face of the goal was tapped home by Woods at the back post. Hardly the best way for Clyde to finish the half.

As usual there were no changes in personnel during the interval. The game resumed in the same pattern with Queens seemingly having more energy and ideas in midfield. Then 9 minutes into the half Clyde equalised in unlikely fashion. A ball into the box was headed on by Harty and Smith with his back to goal bicycle-kicked the ball past the keeper from 6 yards. Two minutes later Clyde found themselves in front. Kernaghan fired a long ball up to the head of Smith who reciprocated the favour to Harty with his back to goal. Harty spun, shot and found the corner of the net too. The confidence was flowing through Clyde and only a few minutes later they scored their third goal. A corner wasn't cleared by Queens and Harty had a shot from the edge of the box. The keeper could only parry it to the feet of Smith who couldn't miss from short range. Queen's were obviously stunned by the sudden reversal and took a while to find their impetus again. They kept trying however and the Clyde goal came under siege ten minutes from the end with a succession of corners. With some stout defending and a bit of luck Clyde held out without really extending themselves to get more goals at the other end. Gilhaney and Millen replaced Harty and Gibson as the game petered out and Clyde recorded another home victory.

Clyde showed some spirit in coming back from the deficit inflicted just before half time. Smith and Harty looked a very rusty partnership in the first half but connected well in the second. Overall it shows we may have genuine competition for the forward and midfield berths.


Morrison **** Safe game and growing in confidence.
Mensing *** Good game ruined by some shocking passes.
McGroarty **** Looks much happier at left back.
McLaughlin **** Sound game from the popular big man.
Kernaghan **** Unusually troubled in the air but held the line throughout.
Ross **** Great stuff - is through the middle his future?
Hagen **** Worked hard and got in a lot of crosses.
Gibson *** Not as good as last week but still worth his spot.
Marshall *** Like Gibson not quite the influence he was last week but good in flashes.
Smith *** Two goals and an assist - not bad for an old stager.
Harty *** A striker best suited in the box rather than in the outfield as his goal and assist showed.

Gilhaney ** No time to make any impact
Millen ** Same as above.


BILLY REID - "I thought the first half was pretty even and we were disappointed to go in 1-0 down at half-time. It was a decent goal for them but we were on the attack and the next minute we're a goal down. We said to the boys at half-time that they had to show a bit of character and in the end I felt they deserved to win the match. It's the first time this season we've had back to back victories.

"Pat Keogh was feeling his calf in the warm-up so rather than take a chance on him we decided to leave him out altogether and bring Andy Smith in, which worked. I thought Andy was outstanding today - he looked hungry, won everything in the air and just his overall game was great for us.

"At this level you have to take your chances, especially against Queen of the South. We didn't in the first half but thankfully this time we came back and won the match.

"I thought the disallowed goal was harsh - but I am going to say that. I think the goalkeeper came and clashed with Andy and the referee has blown for a foul as the ball is breaking to one of our players. Maybe the TV will show differently.

"Anyone can beat anyone in this league. St.Johnstone, Falkirk and Inverness will be there at the end of the season and Queen's are there on merit also. We've got a hard game next week but we can go into it with a bit of confidence."

ANDY SMITH - "That shows you what football can be like. I only got to start because Paddy was struggling with his calf. I was probably fortunate to even be on the bench, but myself and Ian got a chance today we did well.

"I've not had a chance for a few games but Pat and Stephen have been scoring nearly every week. You just have to be patient and I was just glad to be back on the bench today, but that's football.

"I think the second goal was a harder one than the first. The first is just instinct whereas the second one was spinning about and I had time to think about it. I've missed plently of them in my career.

"It was nice for myself and Ian to get the goals but the team came back well. It was due to missed chances that we were down at half-time.

"There was nothing in my challenge on Colin Scott and the Queen of the South boys will say the same. I hope Colin is alright but the goal should have stood. He ran into me.

"It should be a good game next week and hopefully we'll get a few players back in time for that. I don't know if I will start next week; I never expect anything in football. I'll just train hard this week."