Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Inverness Caledonian Thistle 0 v 0 Clyde

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Caledonian Stadium
Date: Saturday, 16th August 2003
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 1,839
Referee: I Frickleton
Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Hide Line-ups

Inverness Caledonian Thistle   Clyde
Brown Halliwell
Golabek Mensing
Mann McLaughlin
Tokely Potter
McCaffrey Fraser
Hart Ross
McBain Hagen
(60) Christie Millen
Duncan Gilhaney
(36) Bingham Harty
Hislop McConalogue (46) Yellow Card
Munro Smith (46)
Fraser Morrison
Proctor Doyle
(36) Thomson Reid
(60) Ritchie Baird

Hide Match Report

by Brian Yule (Cumbernauld News)

Four days after failing to hit the target against St Johnstone in the Bell's Cup, shot shy Clyde were once again rueing their lack of creative spark from midfield as they escaped the Highlands with a point. With Pat Keogh out with a knee injury, Alan Kernaghan went with the diminutive forward line off Mark Gilhaney, Ian Harty and Stephen McConalogue up front but as they had done against Saints, Clyde opted for a long ball game, which left Inverness defenders Booby Mann and Stuart McCaffrey rubbing their hands in glee.

Caley were well on top in the first half and were ripping through the Clyde defence at will with ex-Aberdeen midfielder Richie Hart at the heart of most of their good work. In the first ten minutes he had two chances, first blazing wide then hitting the post after good work by David Bingham. Clyde's only opportunity of the opening exchanges saw a David Hagen volley nearly end up in the River Ness after clearing the enclosure roof. Bryn Halliwell in his first league start the season, pulled off a miraculous save mid-way through the half. Steve Hislop beat John Potter and Simon Mensing before unleashing a shot, it deflected off Mark McLaughlin's head but Halliwell somehow got his fingertips to it. It was Clyde though who should have taken the lead on 33 minutes. McConalogue played the ball through for John Fraser who ran clear of the defence. Unfortunately he proved that Clyde are desperately missing a goal-scoring midfielder by scuffing wide. Nine minutes from the break, Inverness were dealt a blow as the influential Bingham limped off to be replaced by Darran Thomson but Clyde failed to capitalise.

So 0-0 at half-time and after a dreadful display, you can bet Kernaghan and Billy Reid had a few harsh words to say at half-time because when the Bully Wee re-emerged with Andy Smith replacing Stephen McConalogue, they were like a different side. Harty moved back into the midfield and finally gave Clyde some attacking impetus and Smith's presence was causing no end of problem for the previously untroubled home defence. Clyde were coming more into the game with Harty and Hagen both having chances but there was still danger at the other end as substitute Paul Ritchie headed over. Hagen was proving as dependable as ever on the left and showed some good skill cutting in from the wing on 78 minutes. However, like the rest of the team his finishing let him down and he blazed the ball wide. In the last minute Clyde almost nicked the three points but Roy McBain hooked Mensing's header from a Jack Ross corner over the bar.

Honours even and while most would have accepted a point before kick-off, Clyde will need to step it up a gear if they are going to be genuine title contenders.


Halliwell **** One excellent save in the first half and a clean sheet.
Mensing *** Still not at his best, but solid enough.
McLaughlin **** Long may it continue!
Potter **** Impressive commitment at the heart of the defence.
Fraser *** The final ball didn't quite work for him.
Ross ** A rare off day for the Captain.
Hagen *** Got into good positions but his final touch was disappointing.
Millen ** Going the wrong way too often.
Harty *** Trying hard, and did well in midfield in the second half.
McConalogue ** Didn't see as much of the ball as previous games.
Gilhaney *** Was our biggest threat in the second half.

Smith *** Made a difference and looked well up for it.


ALAN KERNAGHAN - "It was a proverbial game of two halves. We could have been 2 or 3 down at half-time. We changed back to five in the middle of the park in the second half and it paid dividends in the respect of getting back into the game possession wise. We actually looked like creating something in the second half.

"That's about all we can take from it bar the point. Our crossing and shooting was especially disappointing; the amount of times we had a chance to pick someone out in the box and didn't was alarming. I don't remember us hitting the target either.

"I was very pleased with Andy Smith's contribution, and he also helped Mark Gilhaney get into the game more. But that's why we brought him in; we know what he can do. He'll prove a good foil for whoever he plays up there with this season.

"Ian Harty did a great job for the team in a position he doesn't favour. He stopped the lad he was up against playing which is what we asked him to do.

"On reflection, I would say a draw is a good result for both teams."

JOHN ROBERTSON - "I thought we should have had the game out of sight by half-time, but second half Clyde came right back into it. They are a quality side and didn't finish second last year for nothing. I fully expect them to be in the mix of it again this year. Having said that, I didn't see us losing a goal.

"Andy Millen has caught David Bingham above the knee, which is unfortunate as you need players of his quality to win games in this Division.

"Two quality teams cancelled each other out today. I've no complaints about the result."