Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Arbroath 0 v 2 Clyde

Match Type: Challenge Cup
Venue: Gayfield Park
Date: Saturday, 12th October 2019
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 806
Referee: G Aitken


Arbroath   Clyde
  Johnston (9)
  Little (68) O.G.

Hide Line-ups

Arbroath   Clyde
Gaston Mitchell
Stirling Cuddihy
Yellow Card Little McNiff
O'Brien Howie
Hamilton Rumsby
(65) McKenna Grant Yellow Card
Watley Johnston (66)
(71) Murphy McStay
Kader Goodwillie
Doris Lyon (77)
(65) Spence Smith (80)
(65) Donnelly Duffie (77)
Jamieson McGee
Thomson Allison
(71) Gold Wallace (66)
Stewart Lamont
Wilson Love (80)
(65) Linn Rankin

Hide Match Report

The Bully Wee booked their place in the quarter-finals of the Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup this afternoon, with a fine victory over Championship side Arbroath at Gayfield.

Danny Lennon made two changes to his side, with David Goodwillie joining Ross Lyon in the starting line-up, in place of Mark Lamont and Ally Love. John Rankin was named amongst the substitutes after a lengthy injury layoff, and the veteran midfielder also assisted Lennon in a coaching role, with Allan Moore missing the match due to a family wedding.

Clyde started the game brightly and had a strong wind behind them in the first half. Ray Grant was the first to test Derek Gaston with a solid effort from the edge of the area which the 'keeper held.

The Bully Wee didn't have long to wait though before opening the scoring, after David Goodwillie played Chris Johnston in behind the Arbroath defence in the 9th minute. Johnston rounded Gaston and poked the ball into the empty net from a tight angle.

Goodwillie then came close himself with an overhead kick which went narrowly over the bar, and at the other end Scott Rumsby made a goal line clearance to preserve his team's lead.

Darren Smith had a golden chance to double the advantage when Goodwillie picked him out with a through ball, leaving him one-on-one with Gaston. The 'keeper however managed to block Smith's shot with his leg.

A second goal did come midway through the second half. Substitute Tony Wallace drove down the right wing and fizzed a cross into the box, intended for Smith. He was beaten to the ball by Ricky Little, who could only divert it into the back of his own net.

The Red Lichties tried to find a way back into the game but were unable to beat David Mitchell, with the Clyde 'keeper holding onto two well struck efforts from distance, and also made a fine reaction save with his fingertips in stoppage time to keep his clean sheet intact.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips