Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 3 v 2 Falkirk

Match Type: Scottish League One
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 29th February 2020
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 1,784
Referee: D Dickinson


Clyde   Falkirk
(3) Lamont Telfer (45) pen.
pen. (43) Goodwillie Longridge (90)
(53) Goodwillie  

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Falkirk
Mitchell Mutch Yellow Card
Cuddihy Doyle
Livingstone Hall
McNiff Buchanan
Yellow Card Lang Dixon (83)
Grant Telfer
(74) Cunningham G Miller
McStay Gomis (68) Yellow Card
Goodwillie Connolly
(85) Lamont McMillan (73)
(65) Love Sammon
(85) Rumsby Durnan
McGee Ferrie
(65) Rankin McShane
Johnston Longridge (83)
(74) Wylde De Vita (68)
Smith L Miller (73)

Hide Match Report

The Bully Wee put in an excellent team performance to end their recent losing streak and registered a thoroughly deserved victory over Falkirk at Broadwood this afternoon.

Danny Lennon made one change to the side that lost at Dumbarton on Tuesday night, with Barry Cuddihy replacing Craig Howie.

Clyde took a third minute lead when Mark Lamont robbed Paul Dixon around 25 yards from goal and drove forward into the box, before coolly slotting beyond Robbie Mutch.

They should have doubled their advantage not long after, following a good passing move involving Ross Cunningham and Ally Love. Chris McStay was presented an opportunity with only Mutch to beat, but the Falkirk 'keeper made a good block.

The Bairns' first real opportunity came through Aidan Connolly after a corner was cleared to him on the edge of the box. He hit a dipping volley that landed on the roof of the net.

David Mitchell then produced a good save to deny Charlie Telfer from distance, as did Mutch at the other end, holding a fiercely struck drive from Love. He was called into action again, getting two fists to push away Lamont's effort after the midfielder found space in the box.

Falkirk came close to equalising as Mitchell let the ball squirm out his hands after collecting a cross and David McMillan reacted quickly and headed it towards goal, but Martin McNiff was able to hack it off the line.

The Bully Wee went 2-0 up after David Goodwillie ran on to Love's long through ball and got a touch to the ball ahead of the onrushing Mutch, who clattered into the Clyde captain just inside the box. Goodwillie waited for Mutch to dive to his right before chipping the penalty down the middle of the goal.

The Bairns pulled one back in first-half stoppage time and it also came from the penalty spot, after Tom Lang made a rash challenge on McMillan near the by-line. Mitchell guessed the right way but Telfer's spot kick was just out of his reach.

Mitchell pulled off three fine saves early in the second-half, denying Connor Sammon from a one-on-one then tipping Connolly's rebound over the bar. From the resulting corner McMillan headed the ball goalwards but the Clyde 'keeper stretched and tipped it onto the bar, before the ball was cleared.

Clyde added to their lead in the 53rd minute, after Cunningham hit a swerving shot from outside the box. Mutch parried the ball and Love got onto the rebound but appeared to be clipped by a defender as his effort went across goal. Before referee David Dickinson could make a decision, Goodwillie was on hand to slide in and knock the ball into the net from a narrow angle.

Telfer had another shot on target from a free-kick but Mitchell was able to push it away, and McNiff saw his header from a corner at the other end go narrowly over the bar.

Clyde continued to look dangerous and found gaps as Falkirk pushed men forward, and Lamont was unlucky not to double his tally after being played in by McStay, but Mutch made an important save.

Mitchell then made a fantastic point-blank save from Lee Miller after the ball fell to the Bairns' player-manager just yards from goal, but he was beaten in the final minute after Louis Longridge was on the end of a flick-on and slotted the ball through his legs.

This set up a frantic period of stoppage time and there was a stramash in the Clyde box but Scott Rumsby made a vital block as The Bully Wee hung on to clinch the three points, and maintain their 100% record over Falkirk this season.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Video Highlights

Video Highlights