Clyde FC
NL Leisure Advance Construction Scotland

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 1 v 3 Motherwell

Match Type: League Cup
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 28th July 2018
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 1,492
Referee: S McLean


Clyde   Motherwell
(31) Goodwillie Main (76)
  Johnson (79)
  Sammon (90)

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Motherwell
Hughes Carson
(78) Cuddihy Kipre
Cogill McHugh (20)
McNiff Hartley
Rumsby Tait (60)
Grant Cadden
(65) Boyle Rose
Yellow Card Nicoll Campbell (45)
Goodwillie Frear
(84) McStay Main
Rankin Sammon
Lamont Taylor-Sinclair
Currie Gillespie
(84) Ferns Grimshaw
(78) Duffie Bigirimana
Gorman Donnelly (20)
(65) Love Gorrin (45)
Millar Johnson (60)

Hide Match Report

Three goals in the final 15 minutes from Motherwell saw them secure a win against a spirited Bully Wee side this afternoon, as the Betfred Cup group stage came to a close.

Danny Lennon made three changes to the side which won in Stranraer on Tuesday evening, with Dylan Cogill and Jack Boyle coming into the starting line-up along with Kieran Hughes, who made his debut in goals.

The Steelmen had the first chance of the afternoon, as Elliot Frear drove forward and unleashed a powerful low shot, which Hughes got down to tip behind for a corner.

Clyde took the lead just after the half-hour mark when David Goodwillie beat the visitor's offside trap and raced towards goal. He cleverly turned Peter Hartley and Cedric Kipre inside the box, before composing himself and slotting past 'keeper Trevor Carson.

Motherwell had most of the possession and fired plenty of balls into the Clyde box but did little to trouble Hughes.

The Bully Wee had a chance to double their lead after then interval when Goodwillie fired a shot from a wide angle, but it flashed across the face of goal.

Clyde had defended resolutely but Motherwell got a scrappy equaliser with 14 minutes remaining. Hughes tipped an effort from a corner onto the crossbar, but as the ball bounced down it hit Curtis Main on the face from a yard out and crossed the line.

Three minutes later they had turned the game around when they launched a quick counter attack following a poor Chris McStay free-kick. The ball made it's way to Danny Johnson at the far post, who fired into the roof of the net with his second attempt, following a fresh air swipe.

The Bully Wee had put a lot into the game and were tiring in the closing stages, but were gifted a golden chance to equalise after a stray pass to Eddie Ferns. The substitute had the Motherwell goal at his mercy, but instead tried to play in Goodwillie with a pass, which the visiting defence easily cleared.

The Steelmen then rubbed salt into Clyde's wounds in stoppage time, when Connor Sammon's header from a Frear cross went in off the post to make the final score 3-1, which was perhaps a bit harsh on The Bully Wee.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery