Clyde 2 v 3 St. Mirren

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 24th August 2002
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 1,874
St. Mirren

Hide Match Report

by Alan Henderson



Mensing Smith Potter

Ross Dunn
Bossy Millen

Hinds McConalogue

SUBS: McClay, Morrison, Cosgrove (Smith 62), Convery (Fraser 46), Keogh (Hinds 46).


After Clyde had battled back to gain what looked like a share of the points, Junior Mendes collected the ball rounded Potter and slammed the ball into the corner of the net with almost the last kick of the game. A real sore one indeed!

Clyde gave new boy McConalogue a start along with Hinds up front. Bossy was also given his first start in the midfield. St Mirren obviously fancied their chances as they began with 3 up front and persisted with the tactic throughout the game. With little constructive play in the opening spell the game was suddenly changed by the pace of Mendes. Clyde lost possession up the park and ball was quickly fed to Mendes out wide. He showed Fraser and Potter a clean pair of heels and slid the ball under Halliwell for the opener. Clyde replied with a long range effort from Hinds that Roy saved confidently. The pace of the St Mirren front 3 was causing Clyde all sorts of problems and it was Mendes again who did the damage. He collected the ball just inside the Clyde half and set off towards goal. Mensing completely sold himself allowing Mendes into the box. His shot was blocked and after a couple of other attempts the ball fell back to him and he despatched the ball into the net. At 2-0 down Clyde looked terrible and only Halliwell coming out to block Cameron prevented the third goal. McConalogue had a long range effort but again Roy saved confidently. Clyde rallied in the last 5 minutes of the half and forced a series of corners. McConalogue was unluckily to see his flick come off the keeper as the half came to an end.

Clyde had to change things at half time and they did. Hinds and Fraser were replaced by Keogh and Convery and Clyde changed to 3 up front too. Within 8 minutes it paid dividends. Keogh collected a ball across the goal and put it past Roy from about 2 yards out. Clyde were really giving it a go now and Keogh was desperately unlucky to see his shot from the edge of the box come off the underside of the bar. Convery then had the ball in the net but was deemed offside. Keogh wasn't to be denied though and from just inside the box he deftly switched feet and sent a shot into the roof of the net. With Clyde chasing the game so hard it was inevitable that gaps would appear at the back and on 3 occasions St Mirren should have taken the lead. McGowan somehow missed an open goal and McGinty shot straight at Halliwell when he had 2 men free waiting to tap the ball in. Cameron also managed to scoop the ball over the bar from virtually on the goal line. A draw looked inevitable until 90 seconds into injury time when a long diagonal ball found Mendes and the rest is history.

For the neutral this was a good game to watch with the second half especially proving to be very entertaining. At least Clyde found some spirit to come back into the game but in the end they had no answer to the pace and skill of Mendes. Keogh, almost single handed, took the game by the scruff of the neck but it wasn't quite enough. Clyde managed to score more than 1 goal for the first time in ages and at least they won't have to face a player like Mendes for a while.


Alan Kernaghan:
We got what we deserved - nothing. Even at 2-2 they had 8 or 9 chances. We couldn't deal with Mendes, it's as simple as that. We backed off him after missing the first tackle and he destroyed us. We'll be looking at the bottom of the table all season if we keep playing like that. I can't understand why we can't play like we did in the second half from the first whistle. We say to them day after day - "start well and with tempo" - but no. We're getting the same thing every week and I'm going to have to make changes. We've got a week left to bring players and we'll see what's around. Paddy came on and did well for us, he looked eager.

Pat Keogh:
We're totally gutted with that. We can't afford to lose games like that. We need to be more consistent and we're going to have to work harder. We missed chances in the second half that should have been goals. I thought Stephen (McConalogue) was good - he looks for the ball a lot and he's strong and sharp. I think we can do really well together. I was pleased with my own performance but that doesn't matter because the team lost. I did alright today but I should have been doing that from the start of the season - but I believe I'm good enough to keep my place and I nee to prove it by scoring goals. The fans were better today - some supporters have been giving the manager and the players a bit of stick but we're always giving 100%.